I think I killed my daphnia...

Star

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Star
I got my first 2 batches of live daphnia earlier today from my LFS and bought a bag of SW algae with them. The daphnia were in a pink liquid so I thought I'd mix one bag in with the SW algae and hopefully start a culture off in a lazy and easy way. Seems I was wrong... They are now all motionless, apart from the midge larvae that I'm still trying to extract. The other bag was left in the pink liquid and are all fine and dandy, I'm guessing that the algae was the wrong type or something? :confused: any help would be much appreciated! I've only used frozen daphnia before

If you meant SW as "salt water algae", that would be one cause. In my experience Daphnia hate chemicals of any kind. The pink stuff in the water may have been the cause of the crash.
Now I am interjecting here, but if you used any fresh water from the tap that can kill them. Use old tank water only.

My Daphnia Farm page might help.
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...rine-shrimp-etc/73666-daphnia-farm-enjoy.html

Thanks for that :) They came in the pink coloured water, the others I didn't add the algae to are still happily swimming about so I guess I don't add all the algae at once :) I'll check your farm page Thanks!

I think the salt in the saltwater algae killed your daphnia. You need to feed the daphnia with freshwater algae, or non-live food.

Ah ok thanks I basically just saw the algae in a deal with the live food so figured it would be fine. I know for next time now :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back