Sick Axie? I'm a noob!

mmetze

Reaction score
Country
United States
We purchased two little axies 4 days ago for my son and daughter. My son's seems to float a good bit after feeding. Today, he seems to be floating a little sideways as well. :( He's a kind of small guy compared to my daughters and doesn't seem to do well eating pellets. Frozen bloodworms seem to be preferred so we've been sticking with them. We've also lowered the water level to about an inch so that he doesn't float at quite as high of a level.

The 2 axies are in separate tanks, but the one seems to be larger and overall happier than the other that is floating sideways today. We are cleaning the tank each day and using only spring water with about 4-5 drops of Reptisafe. Only large rocks have been added to the tanks so there should be no chance of swallowing smaller gravel.

I've been pouring through the forum, but any advice is greatly welcomed.

sorry for the questions but it might help.
what temp is the tank??
how old are the axies?(younger ones tend to float a lot more that adults)

As well as Leas good questions, it'd be helpful if you could post a picture. As Lea said, some axies do just like a good float (one of mine rarely touches the ground) so a photo of just how sideways he is would be helpful.

I know the tanks are quite new, but have you checked all the other water parameters? Ammonia could be a problem, especially if you are feeding bloodworm on a rocky bottom. Bloodworm is really messy (albeit tasty) and some could have got trapped and be causing a water issue.

Hi,

why are you using Reptisafe for your axies? As I know, Reptisafe is for turtles and snakes and it is used in their drink water dishes.
For your axies it would be better to use a dechlorinator, like aquasafe.

It isn´t necessary to clean the tanks daily, if the tank is cycled.
cycling a tank: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

How old/big are the axies and what size are the tanks?
Do you have sand, gravel or whatelse at the bottom?
What´s the water temp?

Tina

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back