Tank mate trouble

brillB07

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
B.
sooo..iv only ever had one axie until recently and added a new small one.
Trogdor is about 8 inches and the new lil one Burnie is almost 5 inches. they have been living in the same tank but with a divider and i put Burnie in a ziplock bag, carried it to the other half and sat him on the sand..Trogdor surprisingly went crazy trying to bite the bag where Burnie was!

obviously it wasnt successful :( so i wonder if its because of size ..? that Trogdor knows he is bigger thinks Burnie is food or is it just in his nature to be the *only* axie in the tank..?

at what size should i retry this with Burnie?
:confused:

I have two axies, both about 6-8 inches in the same tank, one wild type and one leucistic. They get along perfectly fine, aslong as they have space to themselves and a hide each. And make sure they are fed seperately or they may fight over the food.

Burnie probably just looked like a tasty snack if he's a lot smaller. For the most part axies get on well together, so I think as the size difference becomes less it'll be fine. Is your divider solid? Perhaps a mesh divider would get them used to each others scent etc?

For the record, I tried to introduce my 14cm axie to my 20cm axies, and that was too big a difference, Albi got picked on. Just not worth the risk of something horrid happening, so I took him back out.

Trogdor is not an axolotl, but a very pretty A. andersoni. I personally would not have an axolotl with it. Regardless to them being different, I think the size difference is too much.

iv always noticed a difference in aggressiveness about Trogdor, after getting Burnie. i just dismissed it thinking of age difference. just even as he is getting closer in size, they both have very different *personalities.

my divider is solid but clear, Burnie is always swimming around and Trogdor usually takes an interest in watching, frills forward and all...could i mistaken this look for instead a look of eating? she eats large guppies and occasional blood worms.
* good idea with the mesh divider though! never thought of scents

hmm..guess ill just have to get annnother axie and andersoni for tank mates :rolleyes: haha
its weird to type, but i have acouple older siblings so i just feel they should have some too :p

for the record of the last forum post about trying to decide the sex of my andersoni.
iv noticed all the black tipped toes and rememered the last guess of him being a *her
..contemplating on changing the name from Trogdor to Trogdora ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back