Question: White stuff coming from my axolotl?? Is it poop??

kekkuvekku

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Hi,

I dont know what these are, looks like vomit... I havent seen any poop ever, not those poop what i have seen in pictures what it should been.. This white stuff is all over the aquarium, i have to clean the tank 2 times a week.

I have had my axolotl over 2 months now. She eats normally, and doesnt look unhealthy.

Please, help my, getting worried :/

Hey!

That sounds strange, although sometimes I go more than a week and see no poop in the tank, cause it breaks up. What does it look like? Is it piles of it? Can you get a picture?

How does Hemuli look otherwise?

Here is picture, it is on the right side, this white stuff.

Hemuli eats normally is active, sometimes i think too active, like she is tryíng to go through the class... x)

*** I said, I havent seen any poop. :eek: Only this white vomit, all around the tank.

Attachments

• P1012471.jpg
    P1012471.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 8,822
Not really sure what I am seeing in the pictures , other than your little axolotl :D.
Here are some questions for you .
What do you feed her? Has she lost weight ? What do you have in your tank? Could you post a picture of your tank and your axolotl too? Do you have the readings for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and water temperature? Does she have any tank mates?
Sorry for all the questions , but they might help solve your mystery.

Here is a picture of my tnak. Sorry about that last picture, it seems that I cannot take good pictures of that white stuff.. x)

I feed her bloodworms and flour worms (?) (sorry dont know how to say in english :D)

Nitrite and nitrate are good, and pH is 7,5. Everything seems fine, one thing Im thinking is taht maybe Hemuli needs more hiding places, she has 1 white box that is in the picture. But that doesnt explain these white vomit? :D

She looks very heathy, chupy, and good looking. I feed her every second day, and I give her 1 flour worm.

Attachments

• P1012476.jpg
    P1012476.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 2,222
And my tank temperature is 20-21 celsius.

Not sure what flour worms are, but are they white ? I wonder if what you are seeing is undigested bits of worm?

It's so strange.

What is the brown stuff, is it sand? Soil? Is your water very brown, could the brown substrate be leaching it's colour out and turning white?

After having a quick dig around on the internet, it seems like "flour worms" may be mealworms - Eliminating Pantry Pests Keeps Stored Food Palatable
Edible for axies, but they cannot digest the chitchin (outer layers), so not recommended. Can you get hold of yummy eartworms instead? If you don't think she's big enough yet (I can't tell from the photo - I'm terrible at comparing sizes!), you can chop them up, but my axies can actually eat worms around the same length as them (when the worms are stretching themselves out), so worth trying.
Not only are worms the best food for axololts (obviously not tiny axies!), but they're cheap too - free if you can get them out of a pesticide / contaminant free garden ;)

Picture of worms.

Yes, the water is quite brown.

I have noticed that Hemuli "eats" this sand/rocks a lot. She doesn swallow them, i think. Rocks are very tiny, less than 1mm.

strange :(

Attachments

• P5170035.jpg
    P5170035.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 7,122
Mojo: Yes, mealworms, thankyou!!! :)

So they are no good? My axolotls is 18cm long now.

Hmmm... could it be digestive problem. I have also seen bits of mealworms inside the tank. Hemuli has bad digestive? What coul be the reason...

mealworms are not the best diet for an axolotl. Earthworms are a much better staple. Axolotl's in general cannot digest the mealworms shell

Okay, thats very new to me!

Unfortynelly I dont find eartworms these time of the year... its winter here.

Any other ideas what to feed my dear axolotl?

I got my earthworms from eBay, but bait / fishing shops should have them too.
Or, just use the bloodworms the you already have until you can get earthworms, since you already know bloodworms are eaten :happy:

Waxworms can be given as a treat, if you still want to vary the diet (but not often, as they are very fattening for axies)

Does your filter have something other than carbon in it? I have seen filter media used for ammonia removal that is white rather than black carbon. Could it be this type of filter media being released into your tank?

This might be very stupid question, but I noticed that axolotls sperm looks just like the white stuff in my tank Axolotls - Breeding Axolotls Successfully ! :Dthat cannot be....??? Besides I think hemuli is she, not he. Hemuli often looks himself at the aquarium glass, and tryis to go through it, i think because she see himself! x)

I dont know, Im just going through all what could cause this... :D

I dont have carbon in my filter, only these "pillows" (sorry my english again..)

Spermatophores, which is the way axolotls deliver sperm packets to females, are clear 'volcano' shaped structures, with a little packet of sperm at the top. This packet is small, 1-2mm across, not a big blob.

Hmmm... could it be digestive problem. I have also seen bits of mealworms inside the tank. Hemuli has bad digestive? What coul be the reason...

Its probably the chitin(from the exoskelton) being pooped out. Its not very digestible. I'd stick with mostly bloodworms until you can find earthworms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back