Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire Salamander hides all the time

miller343434

Reaction score
He always hides either in his hide or buried in moss. If I take him out of his hiding place to feed him, he doesn't eat and just goes back into hiding. If I don't disturb him he will just tay hidden constantly. I've had him for 2 weeks, is this normal?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds like pretty normal behaviour.
Mine spend most of the day hidden, but come night time they are trundling all over the place. Switch the light on and they run! I feed mine in the evening, and if I dangle a worm near where they are lurking I soon find a salamander attached to it.

miller343434

Reaction score
That's why im worried. I know that they are nocturnal but whenever I look he's always hidden round the clock. Also if i put a worm in front of him he will look at it for a bit and then wander off, normally to hide again

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That still sounds pretty normal. Fire salamanders are shy and reclusive animals. Just your presence is enough to make it slink off into a hide. If you are physically removing him from his hide that will cause enormous stress and it's only natural he want's to get away rather than feed. Do not handle your salamander unless it's essential. In addition some salamanders do not take to earthworms straight away so patience is required.

Offer your salamander a variety of foods making sure live food is available in the enclosure. If you have access to a pesticide free garden there is an abundance of woodlice and slugs to collect at this time of year.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. Never handle him (except when necessary to clean the tank). And continue to offer worm pieces in front of him. Eventually he may become tame enough to hand feed. However, I have one male fire sal that has never become tame. He still pulls away when I come near. So instead of hand feeding, I put his worm pieces in a shallow dish, which I place next to his hide, then I leave him alone (if I watch, he would never eat!). Worm bits disappear, so I know he's eating. He also gets crickets and occasional waxworms.

miller343434

Reaction score
But I need to handle him to get him out of his hiding place so i can put food in front of him? Also, I heard I'm supposed to give him live food but is it ok to cut worms into pieces and give him those to eat?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That´s the thing, you shouldn´t be pulling it out of its hide to feed it. Let it be. At dusk, if humidity is high it will explore for food on its own. If you know where it is hiding, just dangle food in front of the hiding, it will see it and take the prey if it´s hungry.

Earthworm pieces remain alive and moving for a long time.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you just lift the hide (or one side of the hide), just enough to see where his head is? Then hold the food near his head without touching him. Maybe you need to try a different type of hide-object? I use cork bark and broken clay pots.

It may take many attempts before he decides to try hand-feeding.

beefsteak

Reaction score
My CB are all much tamer than my original ones, which were likely WC. A gentle misting and an open window (fresh cool night air) tends to bring em out, especially if its raining.

merk199

Reaction score
My fire sals took about 6 months before they would come out and walk around during the day. Also took them about six months to realize I am what feeds them. Now if I stand by the tank or crack the top the scurry out and start to beg. Patience...For a new specimen I like to keep the cover adequate, so if I need to lift a banch to find one there is little to search.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1