Best feeder fish to breed as axie food.

iChris

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Chris
Ok, since upgrading my axie tank to a 25 gallon tank, my old axie tank is currently empty of all but a single white cloud mountain minnow (a survivor of my old axie's ferocious appetite), and I want to start breeding small fish as food for future axies to supplement my worm farm.

what fish would be best? I have had lots of success breeding guppy in the past, but I no longer keep them so I would need to start a new colony, or should I try the white clouds? I have read they are fast breeders and easy to breed too, I know they are egg scatterers and the adults seem to leave the eggs alone too.

has anybody had any luck with white clouds?

Hi,

I have some white cloudy mountain minnows too in my feeder fish tank and they breed regularyly, but the parents will eat most of the babies. You need much many, many plants on the surface, where the babies can hide.
In my experience breeding of guppies is much easier and more effective.:D

Tina

I agree. Being egg layers, white clouds are a bit more difficult. My white clouds breed only sporadically, while guppies churn out babies all the time.

You might want to consider Red Cherry Shrimp. They are easily bred and fun to keep too. When the RCS last for a while with the axies (before they get eaten), they clean the axie tank of algae a bit too because I dont feed the RCS in the axie tank, only in their breeding tank. They typically roam around the bottom or on plants which is closer to the axies in the water column.

I previously tried to breed white clouds I eventually gave up. I think my biggest problem was water temperature (it was too high), apparently they respond to frequent water changes and brine shrimp to induce breeding but as I said I had no luck. I have some now in my axie tank and they look a lot fatter than my others ever did so maybe I'll try again. I have found in LFS however that those to be sold tend to be mostly females.

Let me know if your successful? I'm currently setting up a colony of platys to feed they are more tolerant of colder temperatures than guppies in my experience. Hopefully I'll have my first batch of fry in the next week.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back