Curious if my eggs are still alive

Star

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Star
They have been fully formed for about 4 or 5 days now, can see both their eyes, their gills, etc. I spotted them moving about 4 days ago but haven't seen them move since, how would I know if they aren't going to hatch? I did a water change the other day and put in some spring water from the fridge. I also put daphnia in there once they were fully formed but still got nothing, am I just being impatient/worrying too much? First eggs I've tried to raise so I want to make sure I am doing it right :) Not 100% sure when they were laid, I got them about a week ago and they were a couple of days into the 'tadpole stage' if that helps? At a guess I think they are between 2 and 3 weeks old at the moment

How well can you see what's actually happening inside the egg? Do you have a magnifying glass? The animals inside the eggs should look good - clear, hard edged, it's hard to describe. Anyway, I think there should be some movement - the closer they get to breaking out of their "shells" the more they move. In fact, that's how they get out. If their gills are deteriorating or their tails seem "mushy" they have probably died. Unless your water is particularly cold (15 C or below) this is a long time for them to be in their eggs.

Haven't got a magnifying glass but they look clear and hard edged, their gills don't seem to be deteriorating and their tails don't look mushy. They have little lumps on the top part of their body as well, where the front legs generally are. I don't think the water is particularly cold but the thermometer is in the quarantine tank at the moment so I don't really want to move it until I know the new fellas are OK. Is there anything I can do to help them if they are still alive, like insulate the tub or something? :s

Haven't got a magnifying glass but they look clear and hard edged, their gills don't seem to be deteriorating and their tails don't look mushy. They have little lumps on the top part of their body as well, where the front legs generally are. I don't think the water is particularly cold but the thermometer is in the quarantine tank at the moment so I don't really want to move it until I know the new fellas are OK. Is there anything I can do to help them if they are still alive, like insulate the tub or something? :s

take some pics so we can see what you see,.
mine was left on my table in living room in small tubs and all at room temp, so it could have been low and upo 15c and its not harmed the, took 2 weeks from laying to hatching to happen.
also do your eggs look like mine did?, check out Axolotl's Update

My camera is rubbish for taking pics of the eggs :( they're the best I can get. The fuzzy stuff on the outside are daphnia that have got caught when swimming past. Taken the eggs out of the daphnia water now though just in case.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 660
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 572
Managed to warm the water up to just under 20°C now and have kept the little 'uns under my monitor so I can watch them, they've started to move about again now :D so I guess the water was a little too cold as dad has had the doors and windows open for three days for some unknown reason!

When the eggs go bad they become white and cloudy.These eggs look just fine. look like wildtypes .Axolotls prefer the colder water. The babies inside don't move much only when disturbed, also once they hatch out they pretty much just sit on the bottom. Sometimes they will also float around on the water surface . Floating doesn't mean anything is wrong with them. Want to see them move tap on the side of the tank.

Thanks :) One had hatched when I woke up this morning :D The water was at about 12 before yesterday so I guess that's why they were taking their time now just for the other to come out

Congrats! I always tell people to be patient. They will come out!

Was just worried I'd killed them :) still waiting on the other though!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back