FYI: Chrysta's at it again!

MereB

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Meredyth
:D Hubby went and bought me 2 "new" tanks tonight @ $50 each second hand obviously but they came with stands so I am a happy little camper who now has a "new" 4ft and 5ft aquarium for my ever growing babies to move into so I don't have to cull *shudders at the thought* or sell them to the pet shops *shudders again* for a while longer while I try to find the ones that are left good homes. :D

So that aside we put the new tanks into place, right next to the existing tanks then go wash up the dinner dishes before starting the filling process. Now I can see all the tanks from the sink, including Dillon and Chrystas and notice them up on their rock crawling all over each other which they don't usually do, the crawling I mean they sit on the rock together every day and sunbathe in the small patch of sun that shines into the tank in the afternoon :confused: and after a short dash to their tank whilst crying "Oh you're not are you" and hubby looking quite perplexed sure enough there they are little white gloopy eggs in all the darkest areas of their tank all over my newly trimmed plants :mad: :rolleyes: 2 months after their last lot. They gave me a good 6 months between layings last time so I am more than a little shocked.

I think she's still laying, I've been watching her while we set up the new tanks and more eggs keep appearing around the place and she is still very fat around the middle and doing the slow "where... hoooh... can... I... ouch... put... uhhhh... the next... eep... one?" walk around the tank. :rolleyes:

I have no intention of raising any more eggs/larvae as I had told hubby just before he went to get the new tanks and I've only just managed to rid myself of BBS hatcheries :p but seriously what are the odds of her laying again the day we decide on the spur of the moment to get the new tanks, having been out all day :eek:
So here I am, again. I can't bring myself to just remove and get rid of them, and these two do produce some interesting coloured babies. It seems a shame to just kill them so I guess all I can really do is give them away so who want's eggs? :lol:

I don't know if they are fertile yet, I will in a few days obviously, and you could get anything as far as colours goes. The last batch were wilds, golden albinos, melanoids and what looked to be melanoid albinos with grey eyes that could actually be hypomelanoids (Thanks Kaysie), still waiting to see. The one I have from a previous spawning is some sort of golden wildtype, maybe he's hypomelanoid too :rolleyes:, and there are a few in the last batch that are looking kinda the same and him and maybe a few white albinos but they are still too small to see terribly well :rolleyes: so they could be something cool and different or just normal and still darned cute.

I have no idea how many she will lay but assuming they are fertile if you let me know how many you want and you pay postage I'll send them to you. The last batch had a nice high hatch rate and 3/4 of the ones that did hatch are still going strong so these ones should be good too.
I can't send to Tasmania or overseas sorry guys and I'm not sure how they will go in the mail in Australia this time of year but I'm assured it is over night from Perth to all capital cities/metro but if you're game to give it a try I'll send them.

If you click on my name and look at other posts by me or do a search you'll find my posts and plenty of pics of mum and dad and the bubbies I've got now and there are heaps of Fish, their first kiddlet floating around too ;)

Mere.

OK maybe a couple of pics, Chrysta tanning her face in the afternoon sun on top of her rock hide, Dillon is on the left in the dark, keeping her company. They do this every afternoon at the moment it may change as the sun moves with the changing season.

and what we think could be a hypomelanoid from the last batch of eggs.

Attachments

• DSCF8236.jpg
    DSCF8236.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCF8296.jpg
    DSCF8296.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 120
Re: Chrysta's at it again! Who in OZ wants eggs? lol

Hello I would love to try and raise these eggs I have had axies many years ago they grew very large had to give them to a friend though as moved and there was no space but now I have a new tank and would love to have a go :)
(would like to get 6 off of you) paying postage is not a problem also (only means would be paypal or money order/postal cheque though)

Not a problem XL. I'll PM you my paypal account.

OK so Postage within Australia is $8.40 for up to 3kg if anyone was curious.

Update on the eggs. They are progressing really well and most were doing the tulip bud thing when I went to bed last night and have now moved onto the Taco stage so all is going right on track with them thus far!

Any one else want some?

doing the tulip bud thing when I went to bed last night and have now moved onto the Taco stage
Any one else want some?

Glad I'm not the only 1 who's desribed it as a tulip bud ;)
It really is amazing how much they remind me of an unopened tulip!

Glad I'm not the only 1 who's desribed it as a tulip bud ;)
It really is amazing how much they remind me of an unopened tulip!
haha nope they really do look like tulips for a while there. Seems a nicer description than a ball with a set of lips :rofl:

Well we're up to Jelly bean stage already, I forgot how fast this goes! looking good for their due date of April 3-4

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back