Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help THROAT ULCER?

Rubyscarfell

Reaction score
I recently aquired a new axy, And she has been fantastic up untill tonight, I noticed that she had her mouth open and it looks like she cant close it, Shes only about 2" so shes only little, ive checked my parameters and they are all fine, she was in a sectioned off part of my tank untill she was big enough to go in with my other axys, I have lifted her into my shrimp tank only so i could get a better look at here and take some photos, i know that my shrimp tank has pebbles but i can assure you that she was only there for a very short ammount of time so i could get a proper look at her, her mouth is open, she seems to keep trying to swallow but cant close her mouth and the inside of her throat looks red and lumpy like a cyst or an ulcer, ive tried to take photos the best i can, Any help would be greatly apriciated. I am working on uploading some photos.
Thanks.

lea

Reaction score
I think you better find your axie a vet to see. If it is infected she/he will need medication to help. I know his/her mouth was sore before you changed tanks but it really does only take a minute for them to eat something they shouldnt.

Rubyscarfell

Reaction score
sorry it took so long to reply, and thanks for replying, so turns out she ate her brother, no idea how or why considering he was larger than her. so she is looking better, just fingers crossed she has no impacting problems.

siona

Reaction score
surely the absence of her brother would have been a giveaway?? But I'm glad she's ok! Shame about the brother though!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1