Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cycling a new tank

shells

Reaction score
Hi,
On the weekend I took delivery of my new 3ft tank and wandering what everyone does to cycle a new tank without their little beloved's in it?
I refrained from seeding the new filter with some of the old media as my old tank was prone to fungal outbreaks just before taking them out and didn't want transfer any "nasties" to the new tank.
Is it best to use some feeder fish say to get the cycle going? Or just leave it be to do its thing?

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Well from what I've read here most people cycle the tank by itself; that being said though I am cycling my own tank with my sweet little axi in. I have also read of others doing this. I think so long as your careful with testing and do daily water changes you'll be fine!!!

Next time though I will probably cycle my tank prior to swapping my boy into it... but this time I was too impatient. If I hadn't have put him in right away then someone else would have bought him. However he seems very happy with his life and is flourishing in his tank. In the month since I've had him he's grown a couple of cm and his gills have become a beautiful mane like display. They were tiny when I got him, but now they look AMAZING!!!

All together I would say that so long as your dedicated then its fine to put your axi into his/her new home right away. Plus he/she will probably love the extra room.

carsona246

Reaction score
if you already have your axolotls in there, then theres no need to put feederfish in. The feederfish people tend to use is just there for an ammonia source.

shells

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I dont have my guys in there at the moment. One is currently in the fridge recovering from an illness (perfect time to get a new tank I thought!!) the other one is currently living happily in a LARGE plastic tub. I thought it would be better cycling the tank without them as I didn't want to cause them any undue stress, especially Marilyn (she been through enough lately) Will try some feeder fish to kick start the ammonia cycle. Would I need to quarantine them before putting in or this doesnt matter cause they'll be the only ones in there? Sorry for all the questions, just want to do the best thing :happy:

Colinna

Reaction score
If you are going to use feeder fish to start the cycle with no Axi's in the tank then you won't need to quarantine them. You'd only need to do that if the Axi's are in the tank.

Are you using the gravel, plants and decorations from the old tank? If yes, then there will be some beneficial bacteria on them which will help with the cycling.

blackdog

Reaction score
I think cycling with the axies in a the ammonia source is fine, but only if you are able to be available for the next 4-6 weeks to religiously test and change 20% water every day.

If you are going away for a long weekend within the next four weeks, then maybe cycle the tank first.

I cycled with axies in, had no issues, but for at least the first 3- 4 weeks i had to change a bit of water every day to keep the ammonia an nitrites down, after that i tested everyday and changed 20% probably only every 2-3 days, then finally after about 6 weeks we were weekly testing and only changing if needed

My guys showed no stress at all throughout the cycling process

bren

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Alternately, instead of using feeder fish, you can just take your axolotl waste water (the water you remove from water changes) and dump that in the tank. It's chock-full of ammonia. That's why you removed it, right?

Then there's little concern about introducing any diseases.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1