Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: When to feed babies? how often, and what?

pegasus

Reaction score
I have two lil axies, the biggest is 5cm long and the smallest around 3.5-4cm, I have been feeding them black worms once per day, but was wondering when i can start feeding them earthworms?, cut obviously untill they are bigger, also how long do they have to be seperated before i can put them together? they are still growing there cute lil rear legs?

Thankyou heaps for any advice

pegasus-albums-new-members-our-menagerie-picture15239-babies-014.jpg

pegasus-albums-new-members-our-menagerie-picture15241-babies-018.jpg

pegasus-albums-new-members-our-menagerie-picture15237-babies-012.jpg

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You can feed earthworms as soon as they're big enough to eat them.

These guys definitely look like they're big enough to start taking chunks. Start them out on pieces that are no bigger than their head is wide.

pegasus

Reaction score
Thanks Kaysie,

I fed them black worms tonight its so cute the way they suck em up like a noodle, but i have a worm farm and buying black worms every 4-5 days is not so easy as i finish work late, and they not so easy to source as the pet shops run out fast, ill try on them on a cut up earthworm tomorrow night :)

also do you or anyone else know how long they should be separated? I'm unsure when to put them in the tank together as i don't want missing limbs etc?

oh again thanks :), ill let you know how they go if u like

Pegasus

Last edited:

MereB

Reaction score
Awwww so cute :D I love watching them eat. Do they have names yet?

See how they go with the worms they should be fine once they figure out they are food which can take some axies longer than others to figure out ;)

pegasus

Reaction score
Hey mereb,

u get my message? they so cute, no i haven't named them yet toying with Nero for the large one, he huge really like 6 cm already!! and maybe Kerrin for lil one (means lil dark one) but not sure cos dunno if they boys or girls, congrats on your new eggs :) they must be frisky something to do with the weather maybe?, I feeding the babies on black worm, the big one will eat frozen blood worm but the Lil one wont, i think because it doesn't move as it ate blood worm alive??, Oh i bought a chiller for the tank, look at guppy's as they way cheaper than Perth, i saved $200, an u can get one your size tank about $500, Oh an I'm buying a new tank have u any albinos left? , thought about some eggs but thought twice nope too hard brine shrimp EC nope, too hard basket, ill get there someday when i know more an can look after them great,

Last edited:

MereB

Reaction score
haha yeah I got your message :happy: I'm so glad they are doing so well! hehe you should see some of the wilds now they are getting HUGE some aren't far off having fully formed back legs. They are walking around the tank like real axies :wacko: I could watch them for hours.

ARGH eggs eggs eggs eggs eggs and more eggs and it looks like most of them are good :lol: To be honest the main reason I didn't want to raise more eggs was the hassle of all the BBS, since getting daphnia around here is impossible. I do have a microworm culture now though so maybe I could use that as well to start with. I got it just as they were growing out of the microfoods much like the brand new jar of brine shrimp eggs that's sitting in the fridge that I got 3 days before they didn't need them anymore :roll: . But the BIG one was finding homes for all of them but hubby has managed to find a pet shop that knows how to look after them so I may just go and see if they want to buy them and sort out a care sheet that they can give out with them. If they will take them I guess I could raise another batch, assuming I don't give them all away first, I've got to find something to do with the microworms and shrimp eggs I bought after all and it took about 1 jar of eggs to feed the last lot :lol:

Awww I love those names! It is hard naming axies when you don't know if they are boys or girls :confused: :lol: what about Sam & Buca (sambuca) to go with Tequila ;) How is she by the way? Any better? Oh I hope she's ok :(

I'll have to tell hubby about Guppys, you got the address as hubby is looking at me puzzled :lol:
I May wait until after the winter for the chiller at this point though, the tanks just aren't getting that hot now thank goodness and with the bigger tanks the water temp is even more stable now... besides, I have other more fun things I could spend $500 on right now ;) Thanks for the tip will definitely check it out.

Yep still got plenty of golds left, I'm sure we could find one that's about the size of those 2 for you. Got quite a few of the ones we though were melanoid albinos but now not so sure too, but gold would look awesome with those 2 beauties :D I'm home all day Saturday, I think, at this stage, got a couple of others coming over for an axie each but you've got my number so just let me know and I'll be here :happy:

OK chat later, time for sleep :eek:
Mere.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1