Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl mom

Ohana

Reaction score
I am a new axie mom to a little leucistic boy or girl and I'm trying to research the best for my new, little guy.

I have a basic understanding for care and have been researching the forum and some other links to see how to make my new little one the happiest.

I am concerned because it doesn't state what kind of water to use. He's not due to have water changed until later this evening. Can we use tap? Should we use distilled or spring water? I know about using the dechlorinator but I read that axies have a metal sensitivity and there are metals in tap water, so I was unsure. How do I keep the temperature low in the tank? My house fluctuates between 65-70 degrees.

He is young, but I'm unsure of age. He has all 4 limbs and is maybe 1.5 inches in length, what is the age range?

His breeder said it was ok to keep him in roughly a 5 gallon tank until he gets just a little bigger to make the complete water changes easier. I have a 10 gallon waiting for him with an adjustable mini internal filter and will upgrade it as his grows in size. Will this be ok? I have nothing as far as large gravel/stones, what brands do you recommend? Do you prefer sand?

Eventually, I hope to get another axie which I plan to raise seperately to maturity. Is it successful introducing two adults together down the road? Id love a black melanistic or possibly a golden.

Last question for now, I have frozen bloodworms in little prepackaged squares. How much of that should he be fed? I did 2 squirts of thawed and he ate some, but not all. I cleaned them out a while after because I read they can foul up the water. I also bought sinking pellets but figured id wait until he's larger to feed these.

Please ANY advice will be well received, I am eager to fill my brain with spoiling him/her. I am sorry I didn't have all of this better thought out before getting him, I never am this unprepared however he was a gift and I've always wanted one, but wanted more time to be able to prepare. With your help, he will be a happy little axolotl <3

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Chances are if your tap water is municipal, it's safe for you to drink, and therefore safe for axolotls. You will have to dechlorinate if your water is treated with chlorine or chloramine.

Or you can use bottled SPRING water, definitely not distilled water.

At that size, it's probably 2 months old or so.

Yes, you can keep him/her in a small tank for now. I do this with all my little ones, as it's much easier to monitor what they're eating and when they're pooping. I would actually get a bigger tank started, at least a 20 long, then you won't have to upgrade tanks again. A 10 gallon is too small for an adult axolotl. If you plan on getting two, you'll definitely need a bigger tank, but you shouldn't have any problem introducing them to each other. Axolotls aren't really territorial.

Your little guy would benefit from a diet more rich in calcium than what bloodworms provide. If you can, get your hands on some live blackworms. Most fish shops have these. They're a fantastic diet nutritionally, and they are aquatic so they don't foul the water, meaning you have less clean up!

Ohana

Reaction score
Kaysie, thank you for you kind advice and quick response.

We went out and got blackworms right away, he seems to enjoy them! We also have been using spring water but I'm relieved to hear tap will be ok with a good dechlorinator.

I am currently looking at 55gallons to get started, would this be an adequate size for 3? I can't decide on a golden or a melandoid for my next, so I figure 3 would be fine. Also, when do you transition yours into the "grownup" tanks?

Maui and I thank you for your help, I hope to continue learning about these awesome creatures. All my friends are amazed at what he will look like as a grown up :)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Blackworms are excellent. They're just awesome all around: nutritious, aquatic, small enough for tiny guys, I could go on!

A 55gal would be perfectly fine for 3 axolotls. So why not get a golden AND a melanoid! Just make sure you keep it in check, or you might end up with 300 (not that I would know...)!

You can put a juvenile into a large tank whenever you want. I usually wait until they're around 3 inches or so before I take them out of the juvenile tubs just because it's easier to monitor their food. And be aware that if you feed blackworms in a big tank with a substrate, they will burrow in the substrate. They'll live there just fine, for the most part, but they will burrow.

dragonlady

Reaction score
This little guy came from me. :D Hope you are enjoying him/her! If you check back over that handout I gave you, I did mention blackworms but unfortunately, these are not always available in my area - I'm not sure about yours. Your little one has had quite a few blackworm meals though. ;)

So far I had not been able to entice them to take the pellets but you can mix them in from time to time with the blackworms or bloodworms to encourage them to be introduced if you want. Be aware that the pellets can also foul the water pretty quickly if left in.

Sorry if some of my info was not clear on the handout, I will be tweaking it. Best wishes! :D

Ohana

Reaction score
Shannon! Thank you so much for entrusting me with Maui's care. Its gotta be a little tough not always knowing if the babies are going to the best homes or not. I am thrilled that you will be able to see my axie grow! Thanks so much for responding to my email and I sent another back already, haha! I hope to get a gold from you, too!!

I should have a melanoid coming from new york and I'm picking up my 55g tank tomorrow. I'm so excited. Let me know how your gfps turn out ;) I hope we can remain friends through this rad forum :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1