Nightmare!!

celticcrow77

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lindsay
Man, I had the worst nightmare last night! I dreamt that the two axolotl eggs I'm raising hatched, and somehow the little babies were put into a tank with an air bubbler that made the water look like it was boiling! The water was just buffeting them and hurting them, and I didn't know for a while. I took them out, and they were all banged up and injured, and they had lumps and bumps and I didn't know if they were going to make it. :( Man, what a stressful dream!! I guess I'm anxious about raising my axolotls, and my subconscious is letting me know... :sick:

I've had a few dreams about my Kaiseri escaping, so relieved when wake up and run to the tank lol.

The last few weeks I have had dreams about my newts riding around the house on the back of my tortoise's shell playing hide and seek (quite the adorable mental picture lol), as well as three separate ones where: 1) Nacho (tortoise) came to an untimely death by being put in the dishwasher by my mom (additionally odd because Mom loves her and I don't live at home anymore, and haven't since I had Nacho lol) 2) my newts were boiled alive in their tank by a robber who broke into my apartment :( and 3) the new colony I am waiting on was shipped to be in a Tupperware container - layered with lasagna. They quite enjoyed in the dream however... :S it's so strange what our subconscious does when it's free to play lol

I also had an INCREDIBLY strange dream last week where I had a large community tank housing (get this) a ball python, Nacho my tortoise, four CFBN, a paddle tail, two tarantulas and an African Bull Frog. Translation? I NEED to stop surfing Caudata before bed....:D

Lol, that's quite the tank! I can't even imagine...

Luckily, I don't routinely have dreams about critters any more. But when I do, I have to go check on everyone. I do have dreams about herping though. Oh the herps I find in my dreams! One time, I had a dream where I made it my mission to find all the 'red' salamanders in the US. I found a Gyrinophilus the size of a hellbender.

Last edited:
Man, I bet I'm gonna have even more weird dreams once my lil guys hatch, seeing how you guys dream about them! These are my first axolotls, so I'm really anxious to do everything right and make them super happy and healthy, so of course I'm nervous about screwing up. :sick:

Haha, I love the dreams with the tortoise riding and the lasagna! That's hilarious! :D

They're tougher than you think. One time, I accidently left ~200 2-week old larvae (10 per tub) alone for 8 days. No food, no water changes. I was leaving for vacation, and the lock on my door broke, and I forgot to leave the new key for the herp sitter. It was all a big mess. When he finally got a key from my landlord, I expected to get a call that everyone had kicked the bucket. He said they were fine, apart from a normal number of deaths. Luckily it was cold, and I was feeding daphnia and blackworms, so they had some food still and weren't putting out that much waste.

So just take a deep breath, and make some lasagna! PS: We had lasagna for dinner last night. It was decidedly lacking in newts.

Wow, what an ordeal! Yikes!! Well, it's good to hear they're hardy. I've always had little furry pets up until this point, so not only are they my first axolotls, they're my first aquarium pets. Lots to learn!! But this site has been AMAZING for research, my learning curve has been exponential! Yowza! :D

LOL Newt-free lasagna is probably a good thing... :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back