Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi from New Jersey

odinseye99

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Phil and I am a 23 year old biology major from New Jersey, I've always been around animals my entire life, but over the past few years my pets have become more to my than just a hobby. Illness has forced me to stay home most of the time, so maintaining animals and their habitats have become a welcomed part of my daily routine.

I currently have three aquariums (one hospital tank, a 30 gallon community tank, and a 125 gallon tank home to my lovable 12" oscar), a large birdcage for my Myer's parrot, a five gallon hermit crab tank, and 20 gallon paludarium just in my room alone! My family cringes every time I start walking around with a new guide book, but I got to admit they have been very supporting. Some people by gaming systems, cloths, and gadgets; I get crickets and dog food.

The reason I am interested in newts is for my paludarium. I converted it myself by dividing the tank with a slate tile, which has produced a 1/3 land 2/3 water setup. The tank is planted and thriving, and is waiting for residents. I am looking for Eastern newts because of their size and tank needs. I have done hours of research on newts and salamanders and look forward to finally getting my feet wet with amphibians.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Phil.

I was so worried when I opened this thinking you were going to ask for axolotls. PHEW!

The only concern with dividing a tank like that is flooding out the land area. I've yet to figure out a way to keep the land dry and the water wet, so to speak.

We don't allow the sale of wild-caught species here. Unfortunately, Notos aren't often available as captive-bred because they seem quite fragile during the eft stage. But do keep an eye out, sometimes there are some available.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1