White patches on axie, help please

barricorps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Came down this morning and one of our axies looks really rough.

Almost overnight there is a cotton wool type stuff building up around the gills and the tailfins seem to have shrunk and have white patches along the top.Skin tone seems to be going very red/pink, behaviour
001.jpg
seems ok at the moment though

Have done a 20% water change, What would be the next course of action?

There are other axies in , should i remove this one ?
001.jpg
[/IMG]

001.jpg
[/IMG]

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 568
You should definitely put the axolotl in the fridge. If you have definitely seen fungus (cotton wool looking stuff), you can do salt baths too.

It looks very stressed. Can you tell us more about the tank? How big is it? What temperature is it? What kind of substrate do you have? How many axolotls do you have in it?

We have four axies in a 180 litre tank, one was a new addition which may have caused the problem, substrate is sand.

Have put the little fella in the fridge at around 6 degrees and purchased sea salt to bathe as in the sticky thread.

No other creatures or fish in tank , just axies.

Can i use normal table salt for the salt baths or will i need sea salt ?

You need non-iodized salt. Most table salt is iodized. Sea salt or aquarium salt is best.

Did you quarantine your new axolotl?

We didnt quarantine the new one im afraid, im still pretty new to all this.

There is now a little white patch on the tip of the tail of one of the others.

I have just done a water test

General hardness , chlorine levels are good but nitrite and nitrate are high which is surprising as i have done two twenty percent changes in the last week.

Will the fungus go away with improvement in the water quality or will they have to be fridged and bathed for even a minor spot ?

Thanks for your responses by the way , much apprieciated

If your temperature isn't high, you might be able to get away with it. But in general, fridging, at least, is a good idea for the poorly one.

As for your water quality, try smaller daily water changes: 10% every day. This will bring the water quality back into check quickly, but without a drastic change at one time.

Ive just gone 2 weeks giving my guys 15min salt baths once a day and 100% daiily water changes after their baths and the fungus is gone. It was freezing in my flat so got away with not fridging them but its a good idea to if youve got a normal temp house. Hope they get better as fast as mine did.

Unfortunatley we have lost two of them today, one of the others broke out in fungus too so they were both put in the fridge but didnt make it out.

The other two have been quarantined in another tank and seem a little underactive but have no signs of fungus whatsover.

Now concentrating on getting the main tank water up to scratch.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back