Buying a chiller, how would I connect it to my tank?

iChris

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Chris
Ok, so I'm buying a chiller, but I'm not sure how I would run it in line with my filter.

my axie tank has a trickle filter built in the top, and the filter is fed with a 480LPH pump, (my tank is 95L or about 25US gallons for our metrically challenged friends) so it turns over the tank water about 5 times a hour, the water is sprayed over the filter bed, and flows through the media and under the filter bed to the opposite end of the tank and flows back into the tank via a gravity fall.

the only thing I can think of doing is feeding the chiller after the pump and before the trickle filter, but I'm worried that this could reduce the life of the chiller's internals.

could I fix this problem by adding a filter sponge over the intake?

I will post pictures of my current setup (filter, pump etc) when I get back, I'm going to get McNuggets.

I'd do exactly what you suggested.

Not sure the chiller internals will be any worse off for running unfiltered water through it, i run my chiller after the canister filter for both heat caused by the filter, and contaminants, but does it really matter? Probably not , i think your water would have to be pretty bad before it started blocking the chiller and pump really fast.

Put it this way, if your water was bad enough to block the chiller, it would probably have already blocked your pump, and also, imagine how bad and lumpy your water would look in general.

Your idea is what i would do (with the sponge just for good measure)

Bren

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back