Worms for my newt

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to get some earth worms for my newts. I'd rather not use ones from the garden as chemicals are used and I'd rather not risk it.

I phoned a local fishing bait shop but they aren't 100% sure where their worms come from (also it would appear it's a silly question to ask :D).

Where do you people (UK) get your worms from or will the fishing bait shop ones be ok to try?

I get mine from livefood.co.uk, I think it costs about £2 + p&p for a container with about 25 worms which are about 2 inches long each, so they're perfectly sized so unless your newts are really small then you don't need to cut them up. Never had any problems with them and they're specifically bred for use as a live food so they shouldn't have toxins or anything.

I'm not sure about the fishing shop ones though, I honestly couldn't tell you if they would be fine or not.

That is fine; thank you very much. I'll have to order some worms from there and give them a go. Thank you :)

My worms, for my axolotls, are from eBay - 250g DENDROBAENA FISHING WORMS, BAIT on eBay (end time 06-Mar-11 19:38:56 GMT)
Lovely seller, who gave the best answers to my little quiz that I asked the worm sellers before deciding which were the most appropriate. And, if you ask for a particular length, the seller will send as many of the right size as possible (plus, since it's done by weight, I usually get more little worms than the standard amount) Never had any problems + very fast delivery. And, they seem very eager to breed, LoL! ;)

Thank you everyone. I'll get some ordered soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back