Question: Regarding juvenile axolotl's

pegasus

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

I have a few questions on raising juveniles axolotl's, I have two juvenile axolotl's they are almost 2 months old, and I am guessing they are at stage five, One around 5.5cm long and the other 4cm, I have been feeding them black worms and cut earthworms once per day, they are in separate containers as the size difference, and that they both almost have fully formed back legs. (around 3/4 length)

How long do they have to be separated before i can house them together?

How fast do they grow? and what the average growth rate is?

I would love some recommendations on separating them in the same tank, as they are currently in separate containers floating in the tank, secured to the top to stop them moving.

Thanks All

I usually wait until they're 8-10cm before putting them together. By then, you can be reasonably assured their most cannabalistic phase has passed.

They'll grow quick! Mine put on about 2cm a month until they were about 6 months old.

There are plenty of threads on dividers. They're mostly used to prevent breeding, but you could also use one to keep juveniles separated. The search function is located right above where you log in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back