Surprise Spawn

CheechWizard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My two young Axolotls spawned whilst i was away and now i have large amount of eggs which i have removed from the main tank, i've done my research and i'm now looking for sources of food ready for them.

My resources are limited but i'm willing to do the best i can for these animals, i think i may empty my fish tank (it's not ideal but it's all i have) so i can keep my female and male separately for a while so she can rest, how long should i keep them separate for?.. i dont want them spawning again.

Some advice please...

They are both under a year old and until recently it was not obvious what gender they were...i guess the idea of breeding axolotls is exciting to some but i think their health is more important...(i am excited tho)...

This is all fairly new to me but i think i've probably read more on axolotls in the past year than any other subject in my life!

I'm very gratefull to everyone who continues to contribute to this site..thankyou

If you don't want to breed them, the separation will be permenant.

Daphnia are one of the best sources of food, followed closely by baby brine shrimp. A quick search of the forum (the search button is located just above where you log in) will lead you to a multitude of threads about what to feed your larvae.

Ok, can i not just convince them that they are not right for each other and that their relationship is doomed...?

:(

I've bought brine shrimp from a local aquatics shop before, so i'm gonna go there and find out if they can supply me with some fresh babies...

Will her spawning so soon really affect her life expectancy as i've read?

Right, my two ACF's are going in together (both male thank god) and i'm freeing up that tank...

Thanks Kaysie, cheers Mojo...i feel kind of bad for letting this happen...:eek:

Ok, can i not just convince them that they are not right for each other and that their relationship is doomed...?

:(

so with you on that, I have my 3 in a 4ft tank and they have lived so well together am so upset that I have to move Jabba out (Jabba had her first batch on the 19th March) :( Good luck with yours!

My eggs were pretty much laid around the same time and they are just starting to change shape...the centres seem to have elongated slightly...:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back