Illness/Sickness: HELP! looks like Bil's face is coming off :(

Bil

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
g & c
First off, thank you everyone for the help.. We put Bil into the fridge for about 3 weeks and it seemed that he was getting better..

we decided to transition him back to his tank, we let the water thaw down to room temp and put him into his old tank, now filtered (before was just airstone)..

the second night of him being in there i tried to feed him brineshrimp as thats what he ate at the petstore when we got him.. he didnt seem to want any of that, so i bought some bloodworms today and tried to feed him that.. the blood worms are currently sitting all around him and he isnt moving..

his face looks like it is falling off, disintegrating .. it looks like that white fungus that was on his legs but i do not understand how it happened over night. Not the top of his face but morely just his lips and nose.. i can no longer see his nostrils and the bottom lip seems to be gone :(

any help would be appreciated! we really just want him better.

Last edited:
Hi,

can you provide some photos, please? From your describtion I cannot imagine what the problem exactly is. Why has he been in the fridge?

If it´s only fungus, you can do a salt bath, but It sounds like it could be an infection with fungal appearance.

How old/big is he? Did you try to feed him earthworms? Earthworms are the best diet for axies - brine shrimps are only a snack as blackworms are too.

Tina

he was in the fridge because his arms had fallen off :( both right sides.. it looked like it was okay and he was feeling better so decided to put him back into the tank..

i was told salt baths may be too harsh as he is very small

we tried feeding him an earthworm but he didnt take it :(

:( sad

Attachments

• IMG-20110323-00040.jpg
    IMG-20110323-00040.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 291
That's definitely not fungus. You need to get Bil to a vet ASAP. He has a serious infection of some type.

It's really difficult to find a reptile vet where we live. I called the pet store and they told me it would be okay if we put like fungus eliminator in bil's water. Would that be okay?

poor Bil, I hope he'll be ok!

a pet store is not a vet and I think the shop assistants didn´t see your axie.
As Kaysie wrote 2 days before, that´s no fungus.- it´s an infection probably caused by bacteria and your axie needs antibiotics to fight this out. But it could be also caused by parasites.

The vet should take a smear test to figure out if it´s bacterial or parasites.

Just to add to what Tina has said, pet shops typically treat axolotls like fish and will recommend fish medications. HOWEVER, there are many fish medications that are not safe for axolotls and can actually kill him/her.

This does not look like a fungus and agree that a vet will need to be consulted. Do a search in your area for an exotics vet, even call one of your local vets to see if they can recommend someone. The latter is actually how I found my vet who is a mobile vet. I would not have ever found her if not through the other vet.

I wish you the very best of luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back