Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello <3 New and looking to get some Axolotls

misstlombardo

Reaction score
Hello:
My name is Teresa, 26 years old and I live in the U.S. I discovered Axolotls on facebook actually; and I feel in love with their cute little faces. My fiancée gave me permission to get one, and I think... that he secretly likes them too haha.
I am very interested in getting one, and probably only one.. Is it okay to keep them alone? Or are they best off in pairs? I need tons of help to figure out how to set up the tank.. and all the information needed to feed and keep them for long healthy lives. Any input would be great.
=) Thank you so much for your time!!

Teresa:eek:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Just be careful; they're addictive. First you start with one. Then you have a pair, and before you know it, you've got 500...

Yes, it's perfectly fine to keep them alone. They're not social and do not need the company of others.

Have you checked out the Axolotl Site yet? It's a great place to start to get the basics down. Also, the forum is chock-full of threads on what to do/not to do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1