Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Separation of eggs?????

zoezakella

Reaction score
Ok appears I have some duds, some eggs that are forming nicely and some that I am not too sure what they are doing lol!

Is it advised to seperate the eggs that are doing well (basically moon shaped) into a new tub or should I just keep them all together as they are until they hatch????

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Seperation of eggs?????

You can, especially if they're easy to remove. But it isn't necessary.

zoezakella

Reaction score

Thanks Kaysie,

Hard to know have one small batch left in the tank which are forming nicely but my tub of eggs is not looking so good :( Have a few that are forming but a lot are still round, will update in the morning with some pictures :)

thanks for your help was just worried incase the duds spoilt the water etc or could damage the good ones :D (sorry new mum to all this, give me kids any day think I understand them better than axie eggs and daphnia cultures, boy thats got my poor tired head spinning)!!!

Star

Reaction score

Start on the BBS! Haha that's why I went for the daphnia in the end :p that and the LFS had run out of eggs :( I have no clue if I'm raising mine right but I guess I'm doing OK, they are both hatched, alive and munching the daphnia, the eldest one of the two is attempting to eat the massive daphnia but failing :p They're characters even when they are larvae! Are you keeping any to raise or trying to rehome them all?

zoezakella

Reaction score

Start on the BBS! Haha that's why I went for the daphnia in the end :p that and the LFS had run out of eggs :( I have no clue if I'm raising mine right but I guess I'm doing OK, they are both hatched, alive and munching the daphnia, the eldest one of the two is attempting to eat the massive daphnia but failing :p They're characters even when they are larvae! Are you keeping any to raise or trying to rehome them all?

morning Star,

LOL dont know what to start have a job list coming out of my ears at the momentlol dont know whether I am comign or going :happy:

Ok goign to get some ordered today and see how they go, at least I know I can get live daphnia if anything crashes.

You got eggs didn't you from seller, so how many hatched??

Definately keeping 1 or 2, sadly now that I have to move Jabba from her tank with the boys I would like to keep 2 and hope that ones a boy and ones a girl and ideally a melanoid and albino leucistic (yes I live in dream world) lol!!

I will either sell or give away the rest to be honest any forum members that are interested would be top priority :D

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you going to use brine shrimp?...if so I would be tempted to try a batch out now so you know what you are doing. I would also order a microworm culture for back up ( these are a doddle to do )
Where are you keeping the eggs you took out ? If the water is cooler than the tank they will hatch slower. I had a batch that I left in the tank, my girly thought she would be really clever and lay some around the filter, when I removed it I found that there where eggs in side that where very advanced in their development :eek:

Star

Reaction score

Morning :D The BBS seem a bit of a ball ache in all honesty lol the daphnia I have left to their own devices and they seem fine, not sure if the fluffy stuff is gunk or their eggs though :confused:
I got 2 eggs fro Carriw on here and both have hatched :) The second was about 2 days after the first. The first one hatched monday and is already about an inch!

I live in a dream world too lol got a few coming from mojo today in the hope that they will all survive and I can have a little golden boy to breed with Scylla when they are old enough :D and a few for presents for family and friends haha. My dad's apprentice is fascinated by them, he currently says no but I think he'll crack soon!

zoezakella

Reaction score
Are you going to use brine shrimp?...if so I would be tempted to try a batch out now so you know what you are doing. I would also order a microworm culture for back up ( these are a doddle to do )
Where are you keeping the eggs you took out ? If the water is cooler than the tank they will hatch slower. I had a batch that I left in the tank, my girly thought she would be really clever and lay some around the filter, when I removed it I found that there where eggs in side that where very advanced in their development :eek:

I dont know Julia am so tired from my 2 being so poorly this week cannot get my head around these cultures at the moment and from what i keep reading peoples keep crashing :( micro worms, those are banana worms yes??

thanks will get some ordered and give it a bash just stresing with holiday comign up aswell now, know these little critters will end up next to the sea with us lol!

Eggs that I have taken out are in a tub next to my newts lol so are a bit warmer if anything :) Will take a picture hang on.........

zoezakella

Reaction score

Morning :D The BBS seem a bit of a ball ache in all honesty lol the daphnia I have left to their own devices and they seem fine, not sure if the fluffy stuff is gunk or their eggs though :confused:
I got 2 eggs fro Carriw on here and both have hatched :) The second was about 2 days after the first. The first one hatched monday and is already about an inch!

I live in a dream world too lol got a few coming from mojo today in the hope that they will all survive and I can have a little golden boy to breed with Scylla when they are old enough :D and a few for presents for family and friends haha. My dad's apprentice is fascinated by them, he currently says no but I think he'll crack soon!

Love it :) Convert the world to the axie way :D

zoezakella

Reaction score
Ok here are my eggs which are mooning bit more :D

Still a lot doing nothing though :(

Attachments

• eggs moning 001.jpg
    eggs moning 001.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 131
  • eggs moning 002.jpg
    eggs moning 002.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 118
  • eggs moning 007.jpg
    eggs moning 007.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 125

memojo1979

Reaction score

Well, if I'd rememered to post them yesterday - I'm feeling so guilty + embarrassed :(

(+ yes I have messaged you, not just left you to possibly read it here)

I'm using my friend's 3 axolotls as an excuse ;)
They're from the same batch as my 3 adults are, but through ignorance rather than deliberate neglect, they are 11cm, 12cm + 13cm long compared to my golden boy who is 19cm long, 2 of them have limbs missing + they are WAY too skinny (straight bodied, rather than any change where tummies are) :(
I took charge of them + had them brought round to my house the night before last + their tummies are already filling out :happy: But, the golden who didn't have any limb injuries decided to go for a wander yesterday - down the back of the tub s/he is in + down the back of the sideboard I have them all on, which I had to move out as far as I could so s/he could plop to the floor + then I had to use a broom handle to roll her / him out as gently as I could! Apart from coming out VERY dusty + fluffy (they are in the dog's bedroom, along with my isolated girl, as it's the coldest room in the house), s/he seems fine, thankfully.
They are all motion-feeding (I'm sure they were eating frozen bloodworm fine when we got them), so I'm having to feed them the bloodworm with a very small pipette, so that the movement stimulates them to munch. I did try adding an earthworm to each tub yesterday, in the hope that it would stir up the bloodworm a bit + make it look like they were alive, but the wildtype ran away from the worm, whilst the other 2 both decided to chomp worms that were longer than themselves! Then the wildtype did too + I had to chop the worms up into bitesize pieces, only to find that they didn't like the worms anyway (the wildtype had eaten most of 1 a few hours later, 1 golden kept munching but didn't swallow any + the other golden wasn't interested at all)

Good excuse? ;)
I've also got 3 of her corn snakes, brought round at the same time, until they are rehomed. Plus, of course, my menagerie to cater for!

Star

Reaction score
Lol it's np mojo I'm like that myself :) I just got worried when the post came didn't want the poor things sitting in a hot warehouse all weekend!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1