Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A couple of questions (Alpine newts)

superfin

Reaction score
Hi eveyone.I am planning to get some Alpine newts for my 42 gallon tank but there are a couple of things I would like answered before I get them.

1. Can they be mixed with any species of fish,newts,frogs or shrimp?
2. How many can I have in a well filltered 42 gallon tank?
3 Is it necesery to keep the tank filtered when you keep them outside to hibernate?
4.Do they prefer hard or soft water?
5.Do they need any land?

thanks

superfin

Reaction score
Ok I have gotten the 3,4 and 5 answered but I really need to know the first 2

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,
Yeah, there are a few things you can house together with the newts, like shrimps, snails, even a small number of certain fish species. Mixing with other species of newt, frogs, etc, is not advisable at all.

In a tank like that you could have a nice breeding colony of 10+. I would err on the side of understocking rather than pushing for as many as you could fit. It would make things super easy for you to have fewer newts in a big space, believe me.

Filters are redundant in a big tank like that if it´s well planted and a bit understocked. The newts will prefer no current at all.

They can adapt to a range of water hardnesses, you can read about it in the CC articles.

Adults are 100% aquatic, or almost. For safety, a piece of floating cork bark for them to haul onto is always nice, but it´s likely it won´t get used often.

This is a fantastic species, which adapts great to british weather, so i bet you are in for many years of enjoyment.

superfin

Reaction score
Thanks alot ahzeal,i appreciate it. Just a couple more questions, what kind of fish can I house with Alpine Newts?,is 7-8 a good number to have? because on the lowest setting,that filter makes almost no current and then I can just point the out put at the side of the tank.

thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!