Beginning my Axolotl experience

NevsterUK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Joe
Hello, I'm getting my first Axy within the next couple of weeks, but I don't have any experience with creating a tank for them. I was hoping that you could give me some guidance. I've read many articles over the internet but I'm still a little confused.

This is the sort of thing I'd love to be able to create:

YouTube - Axolotl Tank

I keep reading about chillers, but being in Britain will I still need one? Might I need a heater instead? What sort of filter is that tank using?

Any help you could offer would be much appreciated as I'd like to get my tank and setup ordered within the next couple of days.

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Beginning my Axalotl experience

Welcome to the forum.

Have a look at this link here, it will tell you nearly all you need to know :-
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander
Then have a look through the axolotl section here. It may seem a lot to read, but you'll pick up so much information.

Axolotl need to be kept below 20 degrees, the temperature raising much higher will cause problems for your animal. During the hight of summer here I can just about get away with just blowing a fan over the top of their tank. You will definitely not need a heater.

Re: Beginning my Axalotl experience

I think the highest mine got to was about 23 last summer but I sorted that with ice bottles, she didn't seem to care though in truth, was still giving me the feed me eyes at every opportunity. The room I have mine in gets very cold but the tank has only ever gotten to about 17 or 18 and averages about 20, even in the low temps we've had so should be fine. You can also use a mesh lid, combined with a fan like Julia said and you should be sorted :) just don't have them by a window in the summer and keeping them lower to the ground (if possible) also reduces the temp :)

Okay, so I bought my first tank. It's 30 x 15 x 12". I bought a filter too, recomended by the shop, and I bought a heater, because temperatures get low here in the winter, being in a student house they get into the minuses, though I don't plan to use it unless I need to.

I plan to add some whitesand to the bottom and set up my ornaments tomorow. This guy has what looks like generic rocks in his tank, but surely I can't just go scavenging in my garden haha. Where should I get things like these?

YouTube - My new axolotl Goku

Once I add everything to the tank, what do I do? I presume i put in tap water and cycle the tank? Is this the correct order? I've found this article

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-set-ups-filters-substrate/74324-cycling.html

Then I add the two axies I plan to buy?

Cheers

You can go scavenging in the garden :D Cheaper than shops! Just clean them well and check the stone type in case it can leach anything into the water.. Once it's added you begin cycling then add the axies once you have stable parameters :)

I've scavenged for rocks outside, yeah!

Have a look on the Axolotl Sanctuary for axiescaping ideas and some hints on what sort of rocks aren't suitable. Axies skin is the softest thing in existence, I think, softer even than Andrex, so make sure any rocks and additions don't have jaggy edges.

Regarding that first tank, it looks lovely, but i'd aim for something with a lot more in the way of decent hidey places! That poor golden wedging himself under the filter to try and hide! :( Bless!

I remember when I first got axolotls, and the woman in the shop said 'don't buy them too much in the way of hides, otherwise they'll hide in them and you'll never see them'. Stupid thing to say! If they hide, it's cause they like hiding! And so untrue about never seeing them, mine hide away when they feel like it, but come dashing to the front of the tank when i'm around sending 'wormy' thoughts at me!

Plus, if you get a bubbler, you can buy clamps that reduce the flow right down so it doesn't stress them out, they might even veg out in it like an axolotl jacuzzi ^_^

:D I love the idea of an axie chilling in a jacuzzi, so cute!

I've been looking for hidey caves for them, do you think these would do?

Rock Plateau 21cm - Aquarium & Reptile Bridge 8774 on eBay (end time 28-Mar-11 15:00:37 BST)

AQUARIUM TANK RED STONE STEPPED ROCK MED ORNAMENT Y002 on eBay (end time 03-Apr-11 13:15:40 BST)

I plan to add some fake plants as well because I heard that real plants require warmer and lighter environments that are unsuited the axies needs. Obviously I want my tank to look good, but it's more about the Axies being happy at the end of the day, so what else do you think I should add apart from those two caves?

Cheers :)

They both look OK from what I know (which isn't much atm! :p) I like the red one though :) You can still add live plants, mine did OK when I used them but my axie kept destroying them... Think it's habit because she's bit through the stem of one of her plastic ones too! But fake plants are good too, I have really brightly coloured ones in pinks, purples, yellows and oranges :D My little fella likes to perch in them. The link Mewsie posted is a good one or look in the tank sub forum and just look through for things usually named along the lines of 'my new tank' or 'my new set up' etc and pinch ideas from there :D My eldest axie seems happier in her quirky environment compared to her natural one for some reason :p

You really won't need that heater!!! Axi's can survive extremely low temps, some are even kept in outdoor ponds that ice over in the winter. As well as this high temps are really bad for axi's. I wish I lived somewhere that I didn't have to worry about high temps... poor me needs a chiller before summer hits.

Also I noticed that in the seconds vid there were other fish in the axi tank... not a good idea!

Awesome, i'll go ahead and order the caves then ^_^ can't wait to get my axies!

I've heard that fish aren't good, but feeder fish can be okay? I like the idea of the axies nomming down some tasty food haha. What's good food to spoil them with once in a while?

If you buy feederfish quarentining before you feed them to your axolotl is a good idea. If you want to breed your own guppies/platies they'll probably be healthier, and you know they won't be sick

We can't actually buy any vertebrates to use as live food in the uk apparently so you would need to get two and breed from them then use the offspring as food. Or go digging up a load of earthworms or buy live bloodworms. My lot love both of the latter :-D only recently been able to nag my mum to donate the earthworms to me but they love them! Other than a couple of instances today they are usually gone in seconds!

A constant temp is better than a varying temp, that's why I have a heater keeping the water at 18, as my student house also gets freezing and have had tank water temperatures fall to 4c.

Make sure if you do put rocks in that they are large enough to not be swallowed by an adult axi, so over 2" minimum.

I am rather confused. Why aren´t the student houses in UK heated? :confused:

Many years ago I was a student too, but my room had a heater, so it´s never has been cold in my room.

Hmm, would it take long to breed the fish to have enough for a constant food supply? You also said quarantining them first is a good idea- as in, put them in their own tank? Or can you buy separators that I could add to my axie tank?

I presume that most reptile shops sell blood worms? Would I need to do anything special to the earth worms to clean them before putting them in my tank? Also, can you not feed them any other protein filled grubs like maggots? Fish seem to nom them in the wild when my granddad goes fishing.

I saw a video of someone feeding an axie a snail on youtube? Is that bad? I've also seen a number of other small critters consumed, such as shrimp and japanese fighting fish-the latter I wouldn't even consider putting in my tank, as a pair destroyed the entire of my friends aquarium- they're nasty little fish!

At the moment I have about 2cm of sand in the bottom of my tank, which I saw recommended, as gravel can by eaten and does harm to the axies.

Student houses do have heaters, but to save money we like to keep them off haha. We're pretty battle hardy when it coms to the cold, so we get used to it :D

As for food, a axoltol's staple diet should be without question, earthworm, bloodworm and axoltol pellets. Healthy, quarantined feeder fish, waxworms and beef heart are strictly treats only.

No heating = more money = more drink! :p I just bum off my dad since being at uni haha even then I don't get heating though :(
I can't comment on breeding fish, never done it. But to quarantine you need to put them in separate tank in case they have any nasties.
I have a LFS near by that I get my bloodworm from, with my earthworms I just rinse the mud off them in truth in water. I guess you could feed them maggots but I'm guessing only as a treat? Not sure though.
They love shrimp, I think little snails are OK, was told my tank invaders will make a tasty snack :D

You are going to love your axolotls so much Joe. I only got mine six weeks ago and it's such a joy having him. God knows what the neighbours think seeing me digging up worms in the communal flower beds.

As I'm sure you are noticing, this forum is awesome. The people are so helpful. They are happy to share their knowledge and experience.

I'm far from an expert, but have been learning fast. Mainly from people here. But there are a few things I have learned that I would pass on and they are... Don't trust what pet shop people tell you. Many don't have a clue. We all want a beautiful tank, but don't accessorise too much at first. Get the axolotls established and the water conditioned as a priority. That is easier with a relatively bare tank (some plastic plants and somewhere to hide is good) Much easier to keep clean that way. Once all is settled, you can go crazy on-line shopping! Earthworms are the best food, and it's FANSTASTIC watching them feed. (I feel a wee bit sorry for the worms, but think mother nature made them so delicious and nutritious for a reason). Earthworms are so nutritionally balances, axolotls can live off earthworms exclusively and they REALLY LOVE them. Frozen bloodworms are nutritious too, but you have to hoover up any uneaten bits or it spoils the water. Test kits, ornaments and all that stuff is less than half price on eBay compared to pet shops (The pet shops near me in London are total rip offs). You really won't need that heater. They like it chilly. Be very careful what you use to cover the base of the tank. I've bought so much stuff with the best intention that turned out to be wrong. If the substrate is too big (like the pebbles I bought) then stuff falls in between and it's hard to keep clean. Gravel gets eaten when wrestling with a worm and can kill the axolotl. My tank is bare bottomed at the moment, which doesn't look so good, but is best for the fella while he is recovering

Anyway, best of luck. And well done. You won't regret.

I have mine bare bottomed at the moment too and only discovered this morning that someone is still excreting gravel :( You notice much more dirt when it is bare bottomed!

Excellent, I'll be sure to keep a strict diet as I want to keep my axie's fit, healthy and happy!

Thanks Rich, I can't wait to get them! I appreciate all the help everyone has given. This seems like a really warm community, so I'd like to stick around for a bit and perhaps one day I'll be able to offer help to other new members :)

I went to the local fish store today to enquire about feeder fish, but they went really aggy. I was informed that it's illegal to sell fish that they know are going to be used as consumables. That was a slightly embarassing escapade :(

I have my tank all filled up now, and I've added Tetra Easy Balance, and Tetra AquaSafe, which came with my tank. It's supposed to neutralise all of the water. What are your views on this? I'll upload photos of my tank later on this evening, or tomorow, as everyones opinions are greatly appreciated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back