Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl has no eyes !!!!

shell1977

Reaction score
Right... i know i might sound stupid here:happy:, i have 3 baby axolotl's, 2 of them have very bright yellow eyes but the other has none. I have looked at it for ages and i cannot see a thing. Is this normal? They are only 2 wks old but to be able to see the others so clearly and nothing on the other has got me worried.:confused:

siona

Reaction score
The axie mentioned in this thread has no eyes. I think it does sometimes happen that they're born without them. Can you upload a photo?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I also had an eyeless axolotl, pictured in the thread Siona linked to. You can see that she retains the optic cup, and so I think she was able to see shadows (maybe), but she definitely did not form eyes.

It's not common, but either by way of recessive genes, or spontaneous mutation, it does happen.

shell1977

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. I have added some pictures. As you can see from the first picture you can see one's eyes clearly. Can i also ask - Is that red part on their bodies normal? Is this just their insides? 25032011959.jpg

View attachment 1497

Attachments

• 25032011960.jpg
    25032011960.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,118

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The red spot would be their liver.

Is it possible that one is melanoid? That means it would lack the 'shiny' eye ring that the others have.

shell1977

Reaction score
Hi Kaysie, the woman i bought them from said they were albino/albino gold.

mewsie

Reaction score
Hey Shell, whereabouts in Scotland are you? I'm desperate for a golden, might the woman you got them from have more?

It'd be interesting if you got an eyeless axolotl!

larn

Reaction score
I think this might be fairly common because i also bought 3 babies recently and it would seem one of them is eyeless, i thought maybe they were really light colour and would perhaps form later, but i dunno

what about the eyes regenerating? or perhaps if it's born eyeless the regenerative system would not produce them?

Last edited:

MereB

Reaction score
Is it possible that one is melanoid? That means it would lack the 'shiny' eye ring that the others have.
That was my first thought too, a pretty little melanoid albino.
I can see what look to be eyes there but can't zoom in enough to see clearly before it get's to blurry to make out anuthing :( It's still very tiny and I think you'll just have to wait till it's bigger and you can see more clearly :(
Good luck.

shell1977

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I aslo think when zooming in you can see sockets, but like you said i will have to wait a bit to see when they are bigger.
Mewsie, i am from the highlands of Scotland but bought my Axolotls from a lovely lady in Essex. I don't think she has any at the moment as there is no post on her site. I am sure i have came aross her on here somewhere :))

j3nny

Reaction score
I have a batch of babies that have some melanoid albinos they look the same as yours it does look strange but if you look close you can see them.

melfly

Reaction score
I would say its a melanoid albino, I've had quite a few, but i did panic at first thinking they had no eyes!

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1