Anything not require live food?

Collegekid

Reaction score
Country
United States
So my friend told me she wants a pet. Being the "pet expert" of the group it's my job to pick her one. We live on college dorms so the pet needs to be aquatic, at least mostly.
However she said she will not feed it live foods, she refuses. I told her I might not be able to find anything and she says that's fine, she just won't get anything. So I was wondering what species, if any, could live on something other than live food/insects?

Axolotls can live on pellets (although the proper pellets are not available at an ordinary pet shop). But they get rather large, so might not be suitable to a dorm.

Is she willing to use frozen bloodworms, or is that too close to being alive? There really aren't many newts/sals that can live on some sort of pellet food. She might do better with pet fish.

I think she would be willing to feed frozen food.

Fish might be complicated as she doesn't want a Betta (which is understandable as nearly everyone has those), and most other fish are going to be kept in a school or are too large for a 10 gallon tank. Plus there would be the hassle of catching and transporting them for school vacations.

I actually almost got an Axolotl, but they need to be kept quite cool, well below room temp. I don't have the money for any sort of cooling systems. So I got my frogs instead.

You'll have the same hassle of catching a salamander. They'll be rather stressed with moving regularly, and if your dorms are anything like the dorm I lived in, good luck trying to regulate the temperature of the tank!

If she dosn't mind frozen food than she could always go for African dwarf frogs

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back