Our new friend, Yolanda!

Thelmab9

Reaction score
mornington peninsula, victoria, australia
Country
Australia
So today i finally got my axolotl and I'm so excited! Got home and put her in the tank. I scooped out as many of the 10 rosy barbs as i could, which was 7 (passed them on to our friend's cod who snapped them up withing 10 minutes!) and let her out of the bag. I had to rush off to get my son from school and when i got home, there were only 2 of the remaining 3 fish left! The boys asked if we could feed her, i wan't so confident as she had only been in her new tank for half an hour, but two meal worms later....! And yes i have read since about chopping the head off so i will do that next time, although she will normally be eating earth worms, i just got the meal worms as that's what she had been eating in the shop and my husband is away for the weekend so i don't really fancy digging in the compost for worms!:p
We got back from dinner later on to find Yolanda climbing one of the plants! She is already showing us her lovely curious and unique personality, the boys are already in love with her and even reckon she's giving them a high 5 on the glass!:love:

I just have on more question (well i'm sure there will be many more) I had only planned on getting two axolotls but.... There was a white female in the tank with Yolanda who was very very pretty, I actually took over half an hour to decide which one to get and only decided because yolanda was the first to move! But I've always had my heart set on a black male (i guess to replace the one I so ignorantly bought and lost when i was a teenager) I've even chosen his name! So, how many do you think i could comfortably fit in my tank? It's 75cm x 40cm. I don't want to cramp their style but also don't have room for a bigger tank!

200345_2002975472670_1192091667_2507170_6591671_n.jpg

188488_2002975832679_1192091667_2507172_4543913_n.jpg

I'm not too sure on how many you could fit in, I think 2 may be possible but not sure, someone will be able to correct me if not :D I currently have 2 in my 2ft but they are both very young and still in quarantine. Just wanted to say though that she is a stunner!

When I got my guys, I was told that a 3ft tank would be okay for 3 adult axies, but obviously, the more space the better + seeing the amount of space they have, I was wanting to upgrade to a 4ft or 5 ft tank. But, then 1 of the girls turned out to be a boy, so he's seperated + I've started to get my 2nd 3ft tank ready for him (to which I'll hopefully add an adult leucistic male, if I ever find 1 nearby)

Congratulations! your new mate is a good looker!

I think you may get away with 2, but keep in mind they may nibble on each other if you don't have enough visual barriers and hides, the idea is to design the tank so they don't see each other all the time.

as a general rule, 10 gallons per grown axie is the go, so about 50L is considered the minimum by many users on this forum. and remember axie's are not really swimmers so floor space is more important.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back