Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand (and to save on 2 post, introductions)

Star

Reaction score
Firstly, I'm just wondering if anyone has found a decent way to empty all the sand from their tank whilst leaving as much water as possible in there? All I really have at my disposal is the usual household items and a turkey baster, which isn't proving that useful :( Getting some ice white sand on monday (fingers crossed) and want to get the brown sand out of my existing ones but there's still remnants I can't pick out by hand :(

Also, to save making two posts... I'm currently trying to introduce my wildtype, who is about 18 months i guess(?), had her for a year now, to my two new additions. They've been in quarantine for almost a month, no issues and figured whilst I'm trying to get rid of the sand from both tanks I'd put them all in a big tupperware tub to see what happens, other than one incident where Scylla mistook Hoshi's leg for yummy food, they seem OK but very stressed out. Hoshi has taken a liking to Scylla and keeps nuzzling into her and forcing himself under her whilst Scylla is swimming like a nutter into the sides and kicking them out of the way. I'm just wondering if plonking them into the fridge for a bit whilst they are all together would help?
My method of madness is they are still able to see and smell each other but are a lot more docile (and less stressed) due to the lower temp... Anyone know if that would work?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!