Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Should I be worried?

Star

Reaction score
I moved my 2 leucys in with my wild type today. Had her for a year all on her lonesome, had them in front of me for a couple of hours to make sure there was no nipping, she snapped once at Hoshi's gills as he was flicking them over her mouth (his own fault imo...) then a few minutes later attempted to take his leg off. Grabbed her quickly and she's left him be since. Kept them all in the fridge for about 3 or 4 hours while I relocated the tanks and put water back in the 4ft one then moved them all in. So far all has been fine, they've been in the tank for about 4 hours now I think, no issues other than Scylla looks rather moody and is stalking little Hoshi a lot... Is she going to attempt to eat him again? :confused: He's found a new hiding spot for the time being but I don't want to come down in the morning to maimed axie :(

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Are they of similar size?

She could be following him because he's new and novel, and she's curious.

Or she could just be trying to make friends. Some people (or sometimes axolotls) can't differentiate between trying to make friends and being a creepy stalker.

Star

Reaction score
There's a fair difference in size in truth, he's still rather underweight :( but has started to eat more now. He was attracted to her straight off, kept nuzzling up to her but she wasn't amused lol I wondered about her being curious but she's pretty much ignored Jake and kicks him out of the way, literally... Hopefully she's just not aware she's being a creepy stalker! Thanks :)

cml

Reaction score
Looks like its moving day today ^^. Hopefully they're just curious and want to get to know eachother.

Good luck =)!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1