Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Adding sand and wood to tank?

caseeybrown

Reaction score
Ive added sand to my new tank and even though i washed the sand loads until the water went clear, when i added it to the tank it went cloudy, will it go clear when i get the new filter or shall i keep replacing water until clear?

Also ive seen a really nice peice of wood i want to get but i dont know what tree its from or where its been etc, so how would i go about cleaning it so its safe for my tank?

Advice much appreciated :D

Star

Reaction score
I think the sand should just settle in it's own time, the first time I used it I didn't rinse nearly enough so had a very murky tank for a few days! My axie seemed to love it though... The wood I have no idea though sorry

mewsie

Reaction score
Hey :)

As Star said, the sand should settle.

Re: the wood, it depends what wood it is. A lot of woods like bogwood will leach tannins into the water, which, while actually are slightly beneficial to axies skin, make the water look brown and dirty.

You can out the wood in a pan and boil it, that should kill nasties, give it a clean, and help leach some of the tannins. However, even if you boil it for hours, it'll probably still turn the water brown! Over time though, it'll get better.

memojo1979

Reaction score
woods like bogwood will leach tannins into the water, which, while actually are slightly beneficial to axies skin, make the water look brown and dirty.

Well, I didn't know that! I thought tannins were to be avoided!
Well, I guess the piece of wood I planned to give to 1 of my snakes can go to the axies instead :D It won't fit in a pan though - if it fits in my oven, the plan was to bake it to kill off nasties - reckon that'd be okay?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Baking wood will do fine for killing off any germs. Boiling has the added benefit of getting rid of some of the tannins before they go into the tank. Although tannins are not a bad thing, some people don't like the orange color.

Be careful about what KIND of wood you put in the tank. Some wood sold for reptiles is not suitable for aquatic use.

caseeybrown

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, i came home today and the water is clear so good news!

i have no idea what kind of wood it is, i just noticed it in my college's art class doing nothing but filling space and its a really good shape with some holes in i could put java fern :D

its pretty big though id say about 1.5ft x 0.5ft x 1ft (L x W x H) :)
how could i boil it then?

is there any wood that's toxic/poisonous or whatever?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This should answer some questions:
Caudata Culture Articles - Wood in Vivaria

That would take a really big pot! Sometimes you can boil one end at a time, with the other end sticking out of the pot, but even this might not work. Another approach is to leave it outdoors for a year, but I suspect you don't want to wait that long.

caseeybrown

Reaction score
thanks ill take a look :D
i know its been in the same position in the classroom for about 3 years so i dont know if that helps but obviously it hasnt been rained on or anything. hmm i dont know what to do :L

you guys got any goood ideas for plants to put in sand so they grow?

ive already been told that java fern is good for axie water temp and lighting but it prefers to be attatched to stuff rather than planted right?

caseeybrown

Reaction score
just had a look and they sell some of the plants on ebay so thanks! i shall be purchasing :)

once its all decorated i just have to hunt down an axie! lol :)

memojo1979

Reaction score
Baking wood will do fine for killing off any germs. Boiling has the added benefit of getting rid of some of the tannins before they go into the tank. Although tannins are not a bad thing, some people don't like the orange color.

Be careful about what KIND of wood you put in the tank. Some wood sold for reptiles is not suitable for aquatic use.

I found it whilst out walking my dog, but it's just sitting on the bench outside, since I'm not sure what sort it is. I'll have to get a photo, to see if anyone here knows ;)

caseeybrown

Reaction score
Ive decided against the huge peice of wood i was gunna put in my tank, i think its too big and theres some paint on it and stuff so wouldnt want to risk putting it in the tank, ive got my eyes peeled for an interesting shaped peice of wood though.. Trees watch out ;)

mewsie

Reaction score
Hahahaha!

Well I've seen some funky bits of mopani wood recently on eBay if you a happy to pay for it!

caseeybrown

Reaction score
Yeah ive got my beady eye on some thats on ebay at the moment so nobody bid on it alright!? ;)

Also isit ok to add large rocks that i found outside if i boil them for a while?

caseeybrown

Reaction score
Yeah ive got my beady eye on some thats on ebay at the moment so nobody bid on it alright!? ;)

Also isit ok to add large rocks that i found outside if i boil them for a while?

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, you can use rocks from outside...here are safe/unsafe rocks

Safe Rocks:
  • Crystalline Quartz ( also known as Rock Crystal, Amethyst, Citrine, Rose Quartz, Smokey Quartz)
  • Granite (care must be taken with granite, some forms contain high concentrations of pyrite)
  • Jade
  • Microcrystalline Quartz, also known as Quartzite and its metamorphic forms: Jasper, Agate, Chalcedony, Sard, Carnelian; Green coloration should be avoided due to presence of copper)
  • Onyx
  • Petrified Wood
  • Slate
  • Basalt
  • Porphyry
  • Schist
  • Commercially available “River Rocks”
  • Mica
  • Tapecrete or similar acrylic based concrete products, properly treated and sealed
  • Obsidian
Unsafe Rocks:
  • Coal, as a naturally occurring hydrocarbon, this rock is often contaminated with many other hydrocarbons.
  • Lava Rock, not recommended due to a multitude of sharp edges and the possibility of high sulfur and hydrocarbon concentrations
  • Coral, causes alkalinity issues
  • Dolomite, the metamorphic form of limestone
  • Fools Gold also known as pyrite (or any other rock with metallic veins--Acid Producing and even more so, often a lead hazard)
  • Any rock with a green or greenish color to it, these are most commonly contain copper)
  • Fossils, with exception to those in Slate
  • Limestone, the sedementary form of coral
  • Manufactured Quarts Crystals
  • Marble, if not sealed with a high quality aquarium safe epoxy
  • Sandstone
  • Shale as it often contains hydrocarbons that can be harmful in a captive enclosure
  • All Metamorphic and Sedimentary Rock not on the safe list
It may sound crazy...but be careful when boiling rocks...add them to the water before it starts boiling or water inside the rocks can become super heated and actually cause the rock to explode!

mewsie

Reaction score
It may sound crazy...but be careful when boiling rocks...add them to the water before it starts boiling or water inside the rocks can become super heated and actually cause the rock to explode!

Wow - I didn't know that! Luckily I always add stuff first so I don't splash boiling water on myself!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1