Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water change / top up

jaquiscorpio

Reaction score
Hi there i was just wondering when adding more cold water to the tank or when doing a part or full tank change do i have to remove the axies? or is it ok to just add cold water (sometimes very cold water) straight to the tank and if doing this will harm them by being too cold ?:confused:

Star

Reaction score
I always remove mine to be on the same side, taken to giving them a holiday in the fridge so they are safe from the cat who has a fascination with the leucys but not the wildtype :/

richardj

Reaction score
I put the fresh water in a bucket in the morning, add the de-chlorinator, leave it near the tank then go to work. When I come home the water is at the same temperature as the tank and I can do a partial water change with no worry about temperature shock

I bought new buckets that I keep just for tank water. So they are always clean and no risk of contaminating the water. I need two for the regular partial water changes: one to drain into and one for the fresh water. They are calibrated with the number of litres, which is handy too.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
When filling up my buckets for water changes, I make sure the water is a similar temperature. I also have buckets dedicated strictly to 'fresh' water. And then a waste-water bucket.

OKori

Reaction score
I always remove mine to be on the same side, taken to giving them a holiday in the fridge so they are safe from the cat who has a fascination with the leucys but not the wildtype :/

Is there a reason for that??? I had all four of my little ones in a tupperware on the floor, thinking my cats were preoccupied while I was doing a water change, and when i came back both of them were eyeing the leucys but didnt seem to notice the DARK BROWN wildtypes. Go figure.

But really, fridging them in an excellent idea, says the noob. :D

Star

Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea! but he pays no attention what so ever to the wildtype lol. I've had her for a year though so maybe he's used to her and the white things are possible food for now? :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!