Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Extrememly swollen cloaca

melandallanie

Reaction score
Hi there. This is my first time posting. I need some help... I noticed my male axolotl rubbing his cloaca on the floating plants early yesterday morning. I figured he was producing a spermatophore. He was. He's done this before. The thing is, he seemed to have problems actually expelling it? He's always placed these on the rocks on the bottom of the tank, never in the plants. After about an hour of rubbing himself on pretty much everything in the tank, it came out. He continued rubbing on things and another spermatophore was released but it took like almost 4 hours this time. When I went to sleep he was still swimming around and rubbing on things. I woke up this morning, he's still rubbing, and he is extremely irritated/raw. It looks like maybe He's got another one stuck in there??
I have included pictures.

Any help that anyone has would be greatly appreciated! I don't want him to continue to torture himself like this.
I'm not too sure if this could be related, but I moved A BUNCH of eggs from my main tank to a nursery tank 7 days ago. (He and my female decided to surprise me)
He's also been hanging out around the top of the tank... Looks so tired...

Thanks so much for any advice you can pass this way :D

Attachments

• DSC00232.jpg
    DSC00232.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 14,628
  • DSC00237.jpg
    DSC00237.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 4,715
  • DSC00244c.jpg
    DSC00244c.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 3,626
Last edited:

Egglebear

Reaction score
my male of one year has a swollen pair too, :( more on one side than the other.

i wasn't sure if it was some sort of prolapse at first but he has recently produced spermatores so may be a similar problem to what yours is doing.

i'm just in the midst of cleaning his tank and contemplating wether to put him in a salt or tea bath, so he doesnt develop any infection because it looks so swollen. he seems fine tho i'm not too worried and havent seen hime rub himself all over the tank or anything.

look forward to hearing some answers to :D

Attachments

• DSC00184.jpg
    DSC00184.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 945
  • DSC00185.jpg
    DSC00185.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 765
  • DSC00186.jpg
    DSC00186.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 768
  • DSC00187.jpg
    DSC00187.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 866
  • DSC00188.jpg
    DSC00188.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 752
  • DSC00189.jpg
    DSC00189.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 8,495
  • DSC00190.jpg
    DSC00190.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 7,798

dragonlady

Reaction score
I would suggest putting your male in the fridge, mel. I would also suggest to separate him from the female for a while. You don't want to stress your female and it seems that your male is already stressing himself out.

Emilie, it is better if you start your own post to address an issue to avoid confusion and to ensure you also get help with your problem. With yours, I would suggest getting seen by a vet, as it looks to me like you could have a prolapse, blockage, or some sort of infection possibly.Don't mean to alarm you, but this does not look normal to me.

Best of luck to you both.

axolotlsfreak

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

My Axolotls is facing the same prob now with only one side of the cloaca swollen and I am real worried for him. Is there any kind soul who had consulted your local vet? Any remedy for; such cases? Sorry but for my side here, there are no qualified vet who can help out... :(

Thanks all.

Cheers,

I would suggest putting your male in the fridge, mel. I would also suggest to separate him from the female for a while. You don't want to stress your female and it seems that your male is already stressing himself out.

Emilie, it is better if you start your own post to address an issue to avoid confusion and to ensure you also get help with your problem. With yours, I would suggest getting seen by a vet, as it looks to me like you could have a prolapse, blockage, or some sort of infection possibly.Don't mean to alarm you, but this does not look normal to me.

Best of luck to you both.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!