Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tail bleeding?!

zronclown

Reaction score
Below are some photos of my axolotl injured tail. I am not sure if it is bleeding or it is just wounds with blood clot. My albino girl got her tail bitten by her wild type tank mate. My tank is 4 ft. and they have their own hidden places so I think it is big enough for 2 of them.
Anyways, about a week ago I found her tail like this and have been giving her salt bath and leaving her in the fridge. Somehow she does not seem like recovering :( Are those red marks normal since I have never seen her got bitten so badly T.T

Could any one advise me what to do? keep giving her salt bath and fridging her ?

zronclown-albums-tail-picture15292-img-0925.jpg

zronclown-albums-tail-picture15291-img-0924.jpg

zronclown-albums-tail-picture15290-img-0921.jpg

Erzs

Reaction score
After a trip to the vet my axolotl Alan's tail looked like this. Don't ask me what happened because I truly have no idea, I think it might have been irritated when handled by the vet for weighing.

Anyway, Alan was on antibiotics for an unrelated issue which could have helped prevent fungus from developing. But apart from that I treated her as though all was normal. The tail recovered within 1-2weeks.

Are you salt bathing her because there is/was a fungus?

Is it definitely a bite wound? A 4ft tank for 2 axolotls with hides sounds absolutely fine and I wouldn't see your problem being there. Are they of similar size? If they are your wild type may have just mistaken a quick moving tail for a tasty snack! As you do, you know..."Oh look, what's that?" *chomp* "I beg your pardon sir I thought your leg was a sausage!" :rolleyes:

mewsie

Reaction score
4ft for two sounds like axolotl luxury!

Salt baths can be irritating to axolotls skin and is generally recommended to treat fungus.

Keeping axie in the fridge is ok, except it can slow down healing. If it was me (and do someone step in here if I am wrong) I would keep axie in the main tank, and be very vigilant on keeping the water conditions perfect, and the axie well fed with yummy earthworms.

Keep an eye on the healing process, if it gets worse, you may need to take action. If you see a cotton-wool like growth, this could be a fungus and may need salt baths.

Alongside that, just making sure your two aren't constantly at each other is wise. I lol'd at Erzs' comment about thinking a leg is a sausage, thats pretty much how it is. Things happen sometimes by accident. Also - assess the tank for anything else that could have caused it - sharp edges, rocks that could have trapped it etc, and remove any hazards. Their skin is so soft. ^_^

Both my big two have had nipped tails every now and then, and I kept a firm eye on them for change for the worse, but left them where they were, they did all the magic of healing within a week or two.

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This looks like the type of wound that would heal well on its own. I wouldn't do salt baths unless it develops fungus. Just keep it clean and cool.

Morrison

Reaction score
I agree with Kaysie.
My axie have had the same thing several times (I have an 'evil' wildtype) and it always heals perfectly.

Erzs

Reaction score
I agree with Kaysie.
My axie have had the same thing several times (I have an 'evil' wildtype) and it always heals perfectly.
How evil, Morrison? This evil? alanwtf.JPG dun dun dun dunnnnn

(I'm so sorry I couldn't resist, it's going to be like Tumblety's no arms picture all over again!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1