Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Larvae died

Star

Reaction score
Just checked on my 2 larvae and the eldest one has died :( S/he ate a massive daphnia about 3 or 4 days ago and was very sluggish after it, barely moved (was very active before). His/her stomach has been very swollen since and it doesn't look like it's been digested at all, the stomach is still very swollen. I also had some unknown larvae in with my daphnia, I thought they may be OK for them to eat so that may also be a cause? I don't know what they are but have attached a rather badly drawn paint picture :p I'm aware how dodgy it looks but it's better than describing it! :p The little black bits at the end on some of them are also pale blue and grey, some also go clear with brown bits in them :confused: I'm just curious what was the issue as the babies have both been fine until today, the younger one is still seeming OK. I also know that the batch of eggs before this one from the same parents had them all die. I can't think of what else to let you know but I don't want my other little one to pass away :( I also have some eggs coming tomorrow so I want to make sure it all goes right!

Attachments

• larvae.png
    larvae.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 98

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The drawing is probably of a female copepod, carrying eggs. These have been known to be predatory, but they're usually not harmful to bigger larvae. I forget how big your larvae are, but if they're still tiny, it could've been an issue.

Star

Reaction score
The one that died was just over an inch, other is about an inch now

smily sam

Reaction score
How big where the "other larvae" where they smaller. The other larvae may have attacked the larvae which died. Or it could have just died because of genetic reasons
I hope your other larvae survive,
Sam:eek:

Star

Reaction score
How big where the "other larvae" where they smaller. The other larvae may have attacked the larvae which died. Or it could have just died because of genetic reasons
I hope your other larvae survive,
Sam:eek:

Only had 2 larvae and had them separated for those reasons so just hoping it's nothing I've done. The other is now sluggish with a red belly :(

puppetmaster04

Reaction score
I have a bag of daphnia bought at the pet shop on Friday and there is something that looks exactly like your diagram in my bag too :(

Are they very small?

Now I'm worried as I've got these in case my eggs hatch over the next few days as the pet shop only gets daphnia on a thursday. will it be unsafe to give them these daphnia?

There are about 4 that I can see that looks like that, but there are some other small black things in there which move like daphnia.

memojo1979

Reaction score
I have a bag of daphnia bought at the pet shop on Friday and there is something that looks exactly like your diagram in my bag too :(

Are they very small?

Now I'm worried as I've got these in case my eggs hatch over the next few days as the pet shop only gets daphnia on a thursday. will it be unsafe to give them these daphnia?

There are about 4 that I can see that looks like that, but there are some other small black things in there which move like daphnia.

Off topic, but - It's hell trying to get daphnia on another day in the UK isn't it?! I've had some from eBay - a breeding culture, but a) I didn't realise I was supposed to leave them for 2 local weeks before using any, so the numbers have depleted + b) I've given some to 2 people who had some eggs from me, so numbers were depleted further. I bought a top up from the culture seller, but am now in desperate need of more, but the soonest delivery I've found in Tuesday :( Luckily, 1 of the people who had some of my eggs had a brine shrimp culture + daphnia culture arrive, so they supplied my babies' tea yesterday!

puppetmaster04

Reaction score
Yeah it's a pain! And it's the only pet shop I know of that sells them which is what worries me.

I think a culture of them will be the best thing to do, I have no idea how much they will need to eat.

Can't I just get some daphnia food and throw the shop bought daphnia into a bucket? Or is there a difference between them and the "live daphnia culture" mentioned on this page -

Daphnia Culture Kit - Grow Your Own Live Fish Food! | eBay UK

Star

Reaction score
They've actually been eating them OK and they don't seem to have caused and issues with any of my larvae. The shop link above has something, if I'm thinking of the right one, called daphnia pellets I think they are. Basically you pop one in your culture and it lasts for a month or two. I just keep buying bags until I get home :p Found a really good shop near my boyfriend's house that has some pretty decent cultures in there :D If anyone tried the culture kit though please let me know how it goes, would work out cheaper for me :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1