Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New tank cycle

shells

Reaction score
Hi,
Im in the process of cycling my new tank and wanting some advice as to when I can put my axie in (i want the tub he's in so I can take my one thats been recovering in the fridge out) these are my levels:

Ph: 7
Ammonia 0.00 ppm
Nitrite: 0.15 ppm (slowly dropping)
Nitrate: 0.00ppm

From my understanding the Nitrate should start to increase when the Nitrites start to drop? (this in't occuring yet) Is the Nitrite still to high to put one of my axies in? I dont want to put the one who's just over an illness in until the water conditions are perfect. I cycled my first tank with him in it (naughty!) and he seemed to be ok with it as I was vigilant witht the water changes.

Oh, the new tank is 195 litres.

carsona246

Reaction score
the only thing that is concerning me is the low levels of nitrite. Its good that you're getting nitrite, but what are you adding as an ammonia source? I don't think .15 ppm's of nitrite are in the danger zone, i've always been told to keep it below 3 ppm's. However you'd think if you had an ammonia source similar to that of your axolotl you would have much more nitrite/nitrate. But to answer your question .15 ppm's of nitrite is probably fine. If you get an ammonia/nitrite spike after you add your axolotl you'll probably have to do waterchanges, but at least your cycle is on its way.

shells

Reaction score
Thanks Carson,
Ive been adding some of the water out of his tub when Im doing my daily water changes to the new tank, I did have an ammonia reading but it has now dropped off... the Nitrite initally got up to around .30 ppm but never higher, when i set up the new tank I put the old ornaments in that were in the old tank to hopefully help also. Should my readings be higher?

carsona246

Reaction score
I would expect higher levels, but it should be fine. Your cycle is obviously on the way, so as long as you don't let the nitrite get too high, I don't see a problem. You might have to do some waterchanges to keep the parameters in check, but that shouldn't be a big deal. You can safetly add an axolotl to an uncycled tank so long as you do waterchanges, and since your cycle is on the way I don't think it would be harmful at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1