Dropped Beastie, not sure if she is hurt.

Emrys

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was removing Beastie from her tank today so I could clean it and she managed to jump from my hands and landed on a linoleum floor from about four feet up. I immediately put her back in her water, and there are no visible injuries except a few small blood spots in her tail and a very small inflammation under her left front leg. She seemed almost stunned at first, and was barely moving at all, but began moving around normally after about 45 minutes. I would have posted this earlier but was waiting for my site account to be activated.

I was wondering if there were any signs of internal injury that I should be watching for, or any special precautions that I should take for the next few days.

Thanks.

Im not sure about warning signs of internal injuries but I would keep a very close eye on her over the next few days, make sure her water is clean and cool and you she some yummy earthworms to eat. I wont hurt to find a vet that looks after axies just in case.

I have two axolotls and I droped both of them, they look fine to me.
One had small blood spots on tail, but they gone after two weeks.

You may notice her skin to start looking irritated. Usually, after something like this, their slime coat is damaged and it needs time to reform. If her skin looks irritated or looks like it might be peeling, you may want to consider a holiday in the fridge to help her relax while she recovers.You can also try a tea bath as this also helps to soothe skin irritations.

You might want to transfer her to a small container for future transporting if she's that jumpy and it also wouldn't hurt to have her checked out by a vet as Lea suggested. That's a big drop for an axolotl. Good luck.

I like to have "just in case" first aid kits for each of my pets + figure some black tea would be a good thing to add to the lotl kit. Can anyone in the UK tell me where to get some, or can anyone recommend a brand? All I can find is loose tea or flavoured tea :(

if the tea bath is just an infusion of tea in water you can probably get away with wrapping the tea in muslin or some other such material tbh :)

if the tea bath is just an infusion of tea in water you can probably get away with wrapping the tea in muslin or some other such material tbh :)

I saw some infusion thingies, to put loose leaves in, but they were over £10 - bit expensive for a "just in case". I reckon you're right though, as long as it was a well rinsed piece of material + I only rinse it in clean water, not wash it in the washing machine!

yeah just go to abakhan fabrics next time you're in hanley, they should have scrap bits for next to nothing :D

I like to have "just in case" first aid kits for each of my pets + figure some black tea would be a good thing to add to the lotl kit. Can anyone in the UK tell me where to get some, or can anyone recommend a brand? All I can find is loose tea or flavoured tea :(

heh Mojo I had the same problem trying to find brands but I use Twinings English Breakfast tea after a long hunt:)

Speciality Black Tea Bags - Speciality Black Teas BEWARE OF THE FLAVOURED ONES LOL!!!
If you PM me your address will pop some in the post for you for your first aid kit xx

heh Mojo I had the same problem trying to find brands but I use Twinings English Breakfast tea after a long hunt:)

Speciality Black Tea Bags - Speciality Black Teas BEWARE OF THE FLAVOURED ONES LOL!!!
If you PM me your address will pop some in the post for you for your first aid kit xx

Ta Zoe - already had an offer of being sent some, so I'll gratefully decline yours. Thanks for offering though :D

Just out of interest though, which is it that is the plain black tea?! The 1701 (or whatever number it is - that's the registration number from the U.S.S Enterprise!!!), or the English Breakfast?

The English Breakfast ingredients:happy:

Black tea is a natural source of antioxidants that may help protect the body from damage caused by free radicals
All natural ingredients:

- Black tea from several origins

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back