Colour type on axies...

orgoca

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Display Name
Carlos
I have 3 larvae which I bought as leucistic axolotl. Looking at them I find it hard to believe these little guys will grow to be white and red gilled. I think they look more like either wild or maybe melanoid. Is there any way to tell at this young age?

The link bellow will take you to the photo album and registration card that states "white (leucistic) axolotl"

Los Mijos | Facebook

Last edited:
those look like wildtype to me, but I havn't dealt with leucistic larvae before.

Here is a picture of a leucistic axolotl. They do have dark spots when they are larvae which lighten or remain small as they grow and become white.

The axies you have..... they do look more like wildtype just because of the spots I see that are also on the fin and tail.... if it was a leucistic then the spots would only occur along the back I think...

I'm not an expert on identifying larvae but I think those are wild type.

Attachments

• HDR_Larve.jpg
    HDR_Larve.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,148
I think these could still be white. They are not albino because of the black eyes and probably not melanoid as there seems to be a bit of a shiny ring in the eye. Whites can have quite a lot of pigment when small and if grown cool and slow.

Wait and see and let us know!

Hey guys thanks a lot. I will keep you updated to what they look like when adults.

Cheers!

As they grow I can now see some red coloring starting to show on the gills... Maybe white after all?

(look at the most recent photos at the end of the album)

Los Mijos | Facebook

Not Leucistic. The migration of melanin (the dark pigment) is limited to the top of their heads and down the middle of their backs which alone rules out these guys who clearly have spots on the lower parts of their bodies and tails.

It's not a colour I've seen before. Their pattern does look wild but they are lacking the yellow from what I can see which would make them axanthic. Axanthic wilds look grey when they are tiny, like a little melaoid but with the shiny eyes rather than the solid black ones.

If you could post the photos here instead of linking to Facebook, you might get a better response.

I know facebook is blocked on all government computers, so I can't look at it from work :p

Here's an image from his FB. i feel like it might be piebald... yes/no?

Attachments

• 197174_10100181390483861_5008541_51058748_1173786_n.jpg
    197174_10100181390483861_5008541_51058748_1173786_n.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 246
Sorry for the delay. Here are the pics. I did some research on what a piebald axolotl was and found it fascinating...!

orgoca-albums-los-mijos-picture15440-img-3488.jpg

orgoca-albums-los-mijos-picture15439-img-3489.jpg

orgoca-albums-los-mijos-picture15438-img-3490.jpg

orgoca-albums-los-mijos-picture15437-img-3495.jpg

orgoca-albums-los-mijos-picture15436-img-3491.jpg

orgoca-albums-los-mijos-picture15435-img-3478.jpg

orgoca-albums-los-mijos-picture15434-img-3500.jpg

orgoca-albums-los-mijos-picture15433-img-3487.jpg

orgoca-albums-los-mijos-picture15432-img-3450.jpg

orgoca-albums-los-mijos-picture15441-img-3504.jpg

My young lucies, are know where near that pigmented. Gavin

They don't look piebald to me. Or leucistic. Or melanoid for that matter. They look wildtype.

Ok now so I have two awesome updates:

First. These little guys are starting to grow their rear limbs.
Second. They are getting gorgeous!!!!

Pics bellow... Enjoy!

orgoca-albums-los-mijos-picture15521-img-3541.jpg

orgoca-albums-los-mijos-picture15520-img-3536.jpg

orgoca-albums-los-mijos-picture15519-img-3539.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back