Question: What Filter is Best for an Axolotl Tank?

Pariah

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jason
So I want to put two of my axolotls in a 10 gallon tank (with a divider in the middle), but I'm not sure what filter would be best. I've tried it once already but the filter I used created too much water current, it was a Tetra Whisper 10i. I was planning on using Plexiglass to try and soften the flow by having the water run off of it, but chances are making that would be too complicated and time consuming.

Are there any particular brands or filter types that anybody would recommend? Or what filters and setups do you use for your axolotls?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

10 gallons is too small for one axi really, let alone two. Diving it in two would leave such a tiny amount of floor space for a hide in each half. For two axolotls I suggest 20 gallons minimum.

On the subject of filters, in such a small tank a sponge filter with a small powerhead and a spray bar would be ideal. If you can't get a spray bar to deter the current you could always put some plants in the way to stop the flow.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that they are not fully grown yet as well. This wouldn't be there permanent new home, it would just be for now until I can make room for a bigger tank.

What do you mean by not fully grown? As a fully grown axolotl can reach over 12 inches, a younger one could be anywhere between egg and that ;)

Well then the good news is I have an extra 20 gallon that I haven't used for anything else yet, so it looks as if I'm going to need to make some room then. I'll just use the current tank for my crayfish that also needs a home upgrade.

Well by this point I suppose I should ask if in your opinion if it would be a good idea to keep them together at that size or if they'll eat each others legs. To me it seems as if they still have a nasty feeding reaction, but if they have hideaways and open areas it might not pose much of a problem. I've yet to attempt to introduce two axolotls together so I'm not sure what to expect. What are your thoughts on this?

My two are 6-8 inches and live together happily, I'm about to put up pictures in another thread. Aslong as they have atleast 1 hide each and room to get away from each other it should be fine. Just be careful around feeding time cause they get a bit excited and snap happy!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back