Hello Everyone

littlecarn

Reaction score
Country
United States
My name is Dylan. I found your website because my two year old male and female axoltol are sick. It looks like they have red foot. I have never had a problem before and I am heart broken. I have started the salt bath, but I am really afraid it is too late. I am hoping for the best, I love these guys, Carlos and Fernanado.

Salt baths won't be effective against red-leg, which is a bacterial infection. You'll need antibiotics if it is indeed red-leg.

But first, if you could answer a couple of questions, maybe we can help you get to the bottom of the problem and help you get your little guys back to healthy!

How big is your tank? How much filtration do you have? How often do you do water changes? Do you test your water parameters?

We know our water got out of wack when our filter stopped. Carlos and Fernando are now in the fridge and we have changed out the water in the tank. We were able to get baytril for them. My dad is giving it to them every morning. Carlos looks better, but Fernando is having a tough time. His mouth is open and gill are red but curled. Do you think I should keep them in the fridge? They won't it is that ok?

I am very upset. I have been taking good care of them for two years and then one day with pump problems and warm weather then this. Any help would be great.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back