Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help me my tiger salamander larvae

Kawaiola

Reaction score
Hi my tiger salamander larvae is going threw his metathesizing stage but he's barely eatin an he not movin much i kno many of u will think im crazy but i still have him in a small tank with water an a couple rocks above the water an hes just sitin on one of the rocks not movin an also i kno that there supposibly quite aggressive but i keep him with an old axolotl an they get along fin my axolotl has even become much more happy and this might not have any thing to do with bringin the baby tiger salamander in but since hes been with him the axolotl has stopped growin these weird fungis like worms an in my eyes thats a plus but any way can any one tell me if the tiger salamander larvae's not movin much an not eatin much is normal or not is it just a part of him metamorphosis an if it is smart to keep "MO" the axolotl and "PO" the tiger salamander larvae together longer?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
First, welcome to the forum.

If your tiger salamander is going through metamorphosis, you will no longer be able to keep him in an aquatic setup. It's not smart to keep a wild-caught tiger salamander with a captive axolotl in the first place. Tiger sals can be carriers for all sorts of diseases.

If your tiger still has some gill remnants, you may be able to keep him in a semi-aquatic set up. But you will need to provide a better land area than just a few rocks. You need to provide a place on land where he can hide and burrow. If he has no gill remnants left, you'll need to set him up in a terrestrial setup ASAP, or you run the risk of having him drown.

In the future, please try to use appropriate grammar in your posts. This forum prides itself on being multi-national, and using proper punctuation makes it easier for all members of the forum to read your posts.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! I agree with Kaysie (including the need for punctuation!) You won't be able to keep them together.

Kawaiola

Reaction score
Oh lolz thank you um i'm sorry about my grammer but i'm 13 I know that's no accuse an also i didn't find my tiger salamander in the wild I bought him or her from my uncle's pet shop an i live in Hawaii so should that be a concern? maybe the climate or something um my tiger salamander has barley any gills left just little nubs and as sad as it makes me my larger Axolotl "MO" has been acting very aggressive toward him so understand but could it be an option to maybe get a bigger tank and make half land and half water so they could stay together because i think its a matter of less space and my Axolotl we think is blind well more blind then normal Axolotl because there naturally poor eyed but maybe could it be that my axolotl doesn't realize that, that used to be his buddy? because before "PO" the tiger salamander larvae began to Metamorphosis they were very friendly toward each other? well thank you for any new information:D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You really need to get the tiger salamander his own tank. Especially since his gills are receeded and the axolotl is attacking him, it's no longer safe for him to be in an aquarium. If you don't move him to a tank where he can get out of the water easily and safely, you run the risk of having your tiger salamander drown.

Neither axolotls nor tiger salamanders are social animals. They don't really have 'friends' the way mammals do.

Kawaiola

Reaction score
aw poopy sorry lolz but i really wanted them to beable to stay together but I see ill be moving him hopefully today into a small but safer tank :D and thank you so much for responding.:wacko::D

Kawaiola

Reaction score
sorry again but i'm not sure if you know that i keep them both in a small little tank well container-ish thing it's a plastic container its about 1 and a half feet long and about a foot long and I keep the water shallow it only goes above the Axolotl so he or she has her whole body covered in water and the tiger salamander is about half her size and when he goes to the rocky side his head is completely out of the water i don't have an aquarium or a filter lolz just a container about a half of the way filled would this still be a risk to my tiger salamander?:wacko:

NachoMom

Reaction score
I really think you should check out the care sheets for both axolots and tiger sals; what your descirbing is not an ideal envronment for either, and there will just be problems popping up consistently if you don't provide adequate living spaces for your specimens. You will notice a big change in attitude and behaviour when they are put into set ups that better meet the needs and natural requirements of your animals. And lets face it, as responsible owners on here we are all trying to make the lives of our little creatures as happy and healthy as possible! Good luck with everything.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
sorry again but i'm not sure if you know that i keep them both in a small little tank well container-ish thing it's a plastic container its about 1 and a half feet long and about a foot long and I keep the water shallow it only goes above the Axolotl so he or she has her whole body covered in water and the tiger salamander is about half her size and when he goes to the rocky side his head is completely out of the water i don't have an aquarium or a filter lolz just a container about a half of the way filled would this still be a risk to my tiger salamander?:wacko:

I am sorry, but I do not understand what you have written. To be honest, at 13 years old your punctuation etc should be far better than mine!
If your little tiger is morphing , then the tank conditions really need to change. They both need different environments , and should be separated to accommodate this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!