Question: Redecorating With Axolotls

Erzs

Reaction score
Country
England
mortypainter.JPG

Although I'm sure that would make a great home improvement show I'm looking for advice on how to go about painting a room where axolotls are housed!

I did a search and the only thread I found involved the axolotl dying :(: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...k-axolotl/43424-dead-can-anyone-help-why.html
Obviously that is the last thing I want so if it turns out I can't paint the room then I won't!

But if it is possible what's the best way to go about this? Place the axolotls in tubs in a seperate room until paint fumes are gone? Say I painted on a Tuesday, keep them away until Friday maybe? I really don't know...'elp!

I would cover the top of the tank with a tarp and keep the room well ventilated.

Keeping them in separate rooms will not keep the fumes from getting into their main tank, so when they returned there would still be an issue...so the tarp would keep the fumes out of the tank. In addition to properly ventilating the room, I think there would be no serious risk.

Use low VOC (volatile organic compound) paint.

Thank you! I did intend to cover the tank also, I was concerned about keeping them inside the tank whilst painting! I'll ask my dad about tarp, hopefully he'll have some since he's addicted to DIY! If not I'll buy some.

Kaysie, I know next to nothing about paints! But I'm looking up about that now on the dulux website (which looks to have info) and I'll be sure to request help at the store with getting suitable paint before purchasing!

Thanks again =]

Ersz, our room needs redecorating aswell can I borrow your axie as he looks a dab hand with the paint brush but not purple please?

Crown do a great range called Breatheasy which we normally use as I cant stand the smell of paint and hate it lingering in a room, this one is 99% solvent free and we could barely smell it x

Breatheasy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back