Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Tiny White Spots on Albino Axies Tail Fin?

AdamR

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm relatively new to this, I've had 3 axies for about 2.5 months now and they've been doing fine and growing like weeds. They all eat very well, never had any issues.
Anyways, my largest is about 6 inches long and robust (eats like a pig). About a week ago I noticed that their are tiny shiny white spots all over his tail, don't really see any on the rest of his body. He does not have a curved tail or abnormally forward gills. His eating has not changed and he still greets me at the rim of his tub when I come near. He is in a 6qt sterilite tub and receives about 20-25% water changes every 3 days and I use "TOPFIN Tap Water Dechlorinator". All of their water temps are kept around 65-69F. He eats axie pellets and bloodworms (I was going to start using earthworms, then I noticed the spots). Is there something I'm missing? The other 2 receive the same care (each in seperate tubs) and have no issues.

On another note; I have heard of people feeding their axies by hand, how is this accomplished? While they seem to tolerate my presence they do not appreciate me touching the water. I was hoping to move the axie in question and my Leucistic to a 20gal Long tank, but that is on hold until I know what this is.

Thanks for you help!

dragonlady

Reaction score
Honestly, from your description, this sounds like iridiophores. These are little shiny spots that can appear along an axolotl's body and how you determine your guy is or is not melanistic. You should also see a shiny ring around his eyes and maybe some other spots in his gill stalks. If your albino was melanoid, there would not be any iridiophores present. If you can or want to, you can post a pic showing these spots if you are still concerned. Glad to see you are trying to be so observant with your guys. ;)

AdamR

Reaction score
Shannon,
He/She definitely has the shiny rings around the eyes and shiny gill stalks, I did notice those a long time ago!;) I feel dumb now but I'm glad to know that is all these are!! Thank you! :D

Star

Reaction score
Shannon,
He/She definitely has the shiny rings around the eyes and shiny gill stalks, I did notice those a long time ago!;) I feel dumb now but I'm glad to know that is all these are!! Thank you! :D

I was the same with my wildtype! She's very shimmery and has an extra large dorito shaped one on her face :D

daremo

Reaction score
and about hand feeding, you can start offering earthworms, be patient until they get used to you...

You can always chop the earthworms to a size according to the axie's size and hold them over the surface for the axies to go and get them ;)

AdamR

Reaction score
Haha thanks everyone! I moved them into the 20gal L tank and they seem to love it! They've been exploring and investigating everything!

Daremo, I will start with the earthworms and see if they will come to me! Thanks!

mewsie

Reaction score
Daremo, I will start with the earthworms and see if they will come to me! Thanks!

My lot couldn't have cared less if I was around, until I started feeding them worms! Now if I so much as glance at the tank they are swimming to the top expecting wriggly treats!

daremo

Reaction score
:)

Mine are used to me, they hunt me all around and if I dare put my hand into the tank they try to eat ME !!!

just be patient and if they are scared, be aware that they freak out easily and start swimming like crazy rockets and crash all over the tank, just leave him alone for a while until he settles down, and try again... eventually they get used to food being offered by hand and come around when they see you

AdamR

Reaction score
I have been trying with small pieces of earthworms for the past few days, haven't gotten any actual bites yet but they do get closer and check it out! Hopefully they will take it soon! I'm still amazed at how fast they are growing! My white albino seems to be on steroids while the Lucy and gold albino are taking it slow!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
With little chunks of worm, sometimes it works well to put them on the end of a skewer, or with some chopsticks, so they're still 'wiggly'.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1