Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Natural Habitat and Diet

kay9

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am new here. I recently found my axolotls at a pet store and with a weekend of research I went back and purchased 2 for 8.00USD each. I have a beautiful albino with white eyes Leeloo and a cute little dark one Ax. I am a animal behavior consultant (mostly dogs but I work with some cats too) and am a really big advocate for natural diets and using natural instincts to train. So I have been searching and searching for information about the natural habitat and diet of the axolotl. I have not been able to find out much other than they eat fish, worms, snails, ect (um what kind?) and their home is polluted and being over taken by nonnative fish. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make their homes as natural as possible? Btw as much as I know about mammals I am practically brand new to aquatic creatures.

dragonlady

Reaction score
congratulations on your new additions! :D

Some helpful links for you to start with - Check out Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander for starters if you haven't.

You may also find Axolotl Sanctuary helpful.

As far as diet...out here, live earthworms/nightcrawlers (Canadian nightcrawlers/European nightcrawlers or even worms from your backyard if it is fertilizer/pesticide free) are considered the best all around diet for your axolotl. Feeder fish are not all that nutritious comparatively speaking and can carry disease that you would not want to expose your axolotl to. Here's another link: Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates

Hope they help!

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Congrats on your axi's... earthworms are the best diet. But bloodworms are good for snacks and mine loves thinly slices raw steak as an extra special treat. I noticed you said that you have fish in the axi tank... best to remove them; as they find axi gills quite attractive to eat! You don't want your axi to drown.

Damn thats so cheap for axi's... my little one cost me $40 aussie... I recon I got ripped off something awful but I love her so I don't mind too much

Rhysmachine101

Reaction score
Hey Kay9,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I have tried to do some research into Axolotls' natural habitat and quite frankly I found nearly **** all.

All I have been able to uncover about their natural habitat is pretty much what you have posted up- that their home has been decimated by pollution and encroachment by humans into their habitat- that their once-lake has been turned into a series of canals, with the only other lake they were endemic to being completely drained.

I cant find any underwater picture of it( Lake Xochimilco) anywhere on the net.

Ok, so after writing that I went on an 1/2 AN HOUR SEARCH AND LOOKIE WHAT i FOUND!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.arkive.org/axolotl/ambystoma-mexicanum/video-06.html#src=portletV3web" title="ARKive video - Axolotl in pond habitat

It seems to show an axolotl in its natural habitat.
Dont take this as gospel, but its the best I have found to date. It looks like they live in relatively clear and still water( which we already knew, I know) with what looks like a clay bed. Which is new to myself, at least.
Well I hope someone else with far more knowledge about these lakes than me chime in soon, I would be interested in a full and detailed account of the conditions that the axolotl enjoyed pre-human interference.
Good luck on you quest for info on the natural habitat and diet of the awesome axolotl! :D

Rhys.

Last edited:

ChristineWgtn

Reaction score
Hi there,
I was reading on line that the lakes were muddy bottoms with lots of aquatic vegetation. Now days as you know their natural habitat is reduced to canals.

carsona246

Reaction score
Hey Kay9, if your new to aquatic animals you might want to go look up how to cycle a fish tank if you are unaware about the nitrogen cycle. Many people who are newcomers to fish don't realize that they should cycle their fish tank to prevent ammonia from being in their tanks.

Rhysmachine101

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried clay as a substrate?
I would be interested to see how it goes- if you could get something like raw red clay that has no chemical additives to it and press it to the bottom of the tank to make a good seal so no stuff could get under it... well it seems like it would be fairly awesome!

All the axolotls waste and food would just sit on top- wouldnt get lost like in sand or gravel- plus it gives a great foothold for the axies- and its more like their natural habitat!

Anyone got some cons to balance this out?

carsona246

Reaction score
I think I remember reading a thread where someone went out and got clay from a river bed to use in a planted fish tank, and it worked out fairly well. That being said I'm pretty sure it was an experiment tank, and only had feeder fish in it, I'll try to find it

carsona246

Reaction score
Ok I've actually been searching since I posted, and I can't seem to find it, wish I could be more help, but I know I read a thread somewhere where this dude just grabbed some clay from a river he used to kayak on.

Star

Reaction score
Ooh if you do find it could you post the link? I'd be quite interested to try it out as well but would like to read through pros and cons before subjecting my babies to anything new ^^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1