Chubby axi

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey everyone... my axi (who I thought might be a boy but am now certain is a girl) has been getting a little chubby recently. She hasn't been eating more than normal; she's on a diet of bloodworms and occasionally very thinly sliced raw steak (can't find earthworms anywhere..but always looking)

Is it possible that she has eggs on board? Her tummy is only little bit smaller than her head and she always has a healthy appetite.

I think females stomachs swell when they are mature, mines been the same, recently turned into a right little fatty but I think it's just because she is now an adult :)

Ok good to know... mines about 6 months old I figure. However even if she did have eggies there is no male around so therefor no babies. I want to breed in the future but I think more than one axi would be too much for my mum to handle

Yeah, if feeding hasn't changed, then it'll probably just be the female shape. The recommended head / tummy ratio is around the same size as each other for girlies ;)

Lol this happened with my two girls. They suddenly ballooned up! I was so confused considering I fed them the same as Hoshi (Jonesy gets fed more) and yet they suddenly turned into water sumo wrestlers! I put it down to eggs but also popped them on a diet as their tummys got a bit bigger than their heads! Ruddy fat plodders!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back