Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: I need help

bo

Reaction score
My axolotl is swallowing gravel a lot, the gravel is very small, and passes through easy enough, but when it comes out, it's sort of "wrapped" in this white stuff. He gets really swollen between his legs when it happens, and it looks like it stresses him a lot. It looks like he's in a lot of pain when it happens, so I want to do something as quick as possible.
I figured I need to buy some other gravel to stop the problem, but should I buy sand, or rocks that are so big they cant even fit into his mouth?

aymeh21

Reaction score
Remove the rock immediately. I would personally go with sand or bare bottom. If you do pick large rock they must be bigger than their head. Rock makes a tank very difficult to clean, I wouldn't suggest it.

Star

Reaction score
Definitely go for sand. Maybe leave the tank bare bottomed for a while until you aren't finding any more gravel at all. Mine were kept on gravel in the shop I got them from and after a month they are still passing it :(

bo

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try and just get my gravel out, and let him pass it until I find some good sand. Thanks for the help :)

zoezakella

Reaction score
It might be an idea for your axie to have a spell in the fridge so he/she can pass the gravel he/she has ingested more comfortably and therefore also giving you time to completely clear out the gravel in the tank. As you do this you will create a lot of mess in the tank anyway from trapped debris so might as well do it all at once :)

Would highly recommend sand or if not a fan bare bottomed.

Here is the info on fridging for you

Axolotl Sanctuary

Good luck and anymore help you need shout!

bo

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll see if it's possible for me to get him a fridge holiday :)
Right now I'm letting him be in a barebottomed tank, and he already looks a bit better. I've bought sand, and I'll put the sand in the tank within this week or the next.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Be sure to rinse your sand. Then rinse it again. And rinse it some more. And one more time, just for good measure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!