Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank knock down-rebuild!

Minniechild

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
On a whim yesterday afternoon I decided to pull EVERYTHING out of my tank and reorganize. Originally, I was just going to move a few things to fit in the new terracotta pots I picked up from Bunnings and the large piece of sandstone from the fish shop, but I was so terrified that someone would get squished in the process that I ended up catching (nearly) everyone and putting them in buckets (axies separate from the shrimp and guppies so there were no rebuilding casualties, though my silly male guppy Bozo REFUSED to come out. I was certain he'd died until he sauntered up to the top for breakfast this morning....*Facepalm*)
Anyways, I'd like to present the results! So far, everything is stable, which I'm amazed about considering how much gunk came from under the rocks (Which have now been heaped to create the Sacrificial Alter,,, I'm thinking that filling the gaps with sand might help eliminate any future buildup), and Izzie, Peta and Bertie (a very cute little show-off melanoid who followed me home from the markets today *Facepalm*) so far are extremely happy with their refurbished accommodations (The guppies so far also share this consensus, and shrimpies are too busy to comment).

Specs:
200L, 4ft tank (I THINK I've done my maths right) filled to 190L
3 axolotls
8 adult guppies
20-30 baby guppies (axies think they are YUMMY!!)
10-20 red cherry shrimp.
Running a box filter (probably will move it to a sponge once my wallet recovers) and an AquaOne 103F (Encased entirely in a stocking to protect the shrimp and the baby guppies)

Thanks so much for reading my ramblings :D

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 206
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 202
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 229

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
People never believe how much mulm (that's the scientific name for crud) can get trapped under their pebbles until they start rearranging things. It's incredible how much crud can be lurking!

Minniechild

Reaction score
Agreed! I shudder to think what will come out when I do the next big clean out (When I put in the proper filter and chiller-I'm going to do some river sand as well, and the Sacrificial Alter I'll properly backfill with sand to try and stop the gunk getting stuck in there. Also if I get the cash, I'll need to add in another log- the three currently in there love it SO much, and the smaller ones (well, the largest two-I want to give freddie enough time to get a few more centimetres on her) will need their own hang out once they move out (There are currently five different hang-out spots in there, but I'll be adding some more :D). Then there's replacing the plants (everything except the Anubias is looking VERY rough or dead...Thank heavens I managed to keep the blasted thing CYCLED!!), and putting up the new LED lights my dad's put together from China ($2 for 60cm of LEDs-SQUEE!!!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!