Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Live food suppliers, Essex or Kent

Star

Reaction score
I'm headed down to Grays in Essex on thursday and it is looking like I will need to take my eggs/larvae and my daphnia culture with me as I need to stay for 2 weeks instead of 1 and the only person able to look after my pets is my 14 year old sister, who honestly I wouldn't trust with the babies... So I'm just curious if anyone from that area knows anywhere in that area that stocks live BBS and daphnia? Knowing my luck, my culture will crash on the way down there so just want to be prepared! I know I can get dried eggs online but it won't be practical to hatch them whilst there... If not I guess ebay will be my friend and I will have to hope it arrives in good time. Essex or Kent is fine for a supplier as I will be making trips between the two :)

mewsie

Reaction score
My best mate lives in Grays, I'll ask him and get back to you.

kirsty

Reaction score
I think most places that sell fish, sell them. I live in Kent (not too far from Essex and most of the shops i have been to here sell them, however not sure how suitable they are for baby Axies as I have never had them. Might be worth just googling shops in the location and asking them?

Star

Reaction score
Thanks :) I only know of the one shop on Lodge lane in Grays and it doesn't sell live food. I would ask my boyfriend but quite honestly, he's useless lol I'll have a look around though :) I currently have 2 larvae, one from a different batch is about a week old and 2cm, just over, he's thriving on the daphnia :D wasn't keep on the BBS when I put them in with him.

mewsie

Reaction score
I think Kirsty is right - most fish sellers will sell live food. Paul says that this shop:

Animal World
75 Lodge Lane, Grays, Essex RM17 5RZ
Tel. 01375 392942

is quite good for exotic and weird stuff, so might be worth a try if you don't get any joy in the regular shops!

Edit: Lawl - I guess this is the one you were on about??

Star

Reaction score
Haha yup, strangely enough my boyfriend is also called Paul, small world! :p they have reps, etc but they aren't in fantastic condition imo, especially considering my last few visits the panther chameleons have been near enough black and there was a Uromastyx in there with an open viv... Granted, I was content to pet it since I've worked with them :p but then thought about the kids that were in and out of there :/ ah well! Thank you though :D

kirsty

Reaction score
There is a fish selling shop here called Fishy Friend aquatics, maybe they might have some?
73 Southernhay,
Basildon,
Essex.
SS14 1EU
Tel: 01268 271442
Not really sure if that is close to where you are going to be staying but I also think I remember someone saying something about a bait shop in Chelmsford, Essex again not sure if they sell things like that?

Star

Reaction score
Ooh thank you :) I more or less know my way from the roundabout to my boyfriend's house and obviously to Lakeside lol I'll just drag him on an 'adventure' get him to navigate to some degree or use the sat nav, I'll give that one a call though see what they say :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1