Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Hatchlings Dead?

MarkKing

Reaction score
They've been in the hatching tank for about a week now.

Some of the eggs were white and some were black.
(Leucistic Parents, though, expected just black eggs?)

Some have started to form into the 'curved shape' that they begin to take before you see the forming of the gill's or whatever, but they haven't really progressed further.

It's been between 8-10 day's since I seperated the eggs into a near enough perfect tank set-up especially for them;
18 Degree's.
18x10x10 in size.
Air Bubbler/Filter.
Sand Substrate
And on the live & plastic plants they were spawned on.

Changed about 20% of the water after 4 & 7 days too.

Star

Reaction score
Last edited:

memojo1979

Reaction score
I have a wide variety of development in my eggs at the moment. 2 have hatched this weekend (though they spent most of their development in the adult axies' tank), 3 that are looking ready to hatch any moment (again, from the adults' tank), then most of the rest were looking ready, but after comparing with the 1s I've just mentioned, they are a lot slimmer still, so expecting more development from them yet. Then, I have some that are the right sort of shape, but not as developed, some still kidney bean shaped + some that have only just turned into a tulip shape. Yet, all these are still developing!
Compare that with the eggs I gave to another member on here (not just Star) + all the 13 she had from me have already hatched - a lot of variety, all from the same spawning. Okay, so if Raziela's have been in a warmer temperature, they would've hatched quicker, but there is a lot of variety in mine, even thought they've all been kept the same (apart from the 5 from the adults' tank), since I seperated them into a seperate container the day they were laid.
So, don't panic yet - see how they go over the next week or so + watch for cloudiness, as Star says. It's hard to describe, but very obvious when it does happen.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they are dead, they will very soon become milky or fuzzy looking. It may just be that they are in a period during development where you don't see much change on the outside.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1