Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: New tank set up

vampybabe

Reaction score
So our 3 guys needed a new bigger home! but after 2 of them started picking on moomin we decided to move moomin into the big new tank as a reward for being so brave and nursing poorly legs and arms and a bitten off tail.
She loves it.
And the fella made a pyramid hide for her too which shes making good use of.
We want an Egyptian theme and is work in progress until we buy the other bits. Weve got a all ponds solution external filter.
The 2footer looks little now though agaisnt the 4foot one :)
vampybabe-albums-new-tank-picture15403-p1030342.jpg

Last edited:

mewsie

Reaction score
wowww... thats a lot of space!

i like the pyramid, can just see Moomin peeking out!! ^_^
What's it made of?

Star

Reaction score
Ooh I love that pyramid! She'll probably shoot up in size if she isn't fully grown, my adult has shot up in about a month, everyone's amazed at the size of her now! She had a 2ft all to herself previoulsy

shells

Reaction score
Moomin's one lucky girl, i'm sure she'll come along in leaps and bounds now :happy:

vampybabe

Reaction score
HI guys
the pyramid is made from the left over slate that weve got on the bottom of the tank. sand was too much of a pain :)
My fella had fun at work cutting it all to size and then aquarium sealer to hold it together. Moomin loves it!
she`ll get a few more things to hide and play in very soon, ill post more pics up as and when, her legs are definitely making an improvement and hopefully in the future maybe she can have friends again if they play nice with her. :)

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Oh wow that looks great, I wish I had a tank that big for my axies but I have my big one as a community fish tank and don't have room for another!!

vampybabe

Reaction score
chris... ive 32 babies currently in tupperwear lol.
ideally all 3 were suppose to go in it but now twiggys being a bully hes not going in. Evo has be reintroduced today so we will see how they go. hopefully ok :)
awww..... theres always room jadore lol

vampybabe

Reaction score
Some more updates :happy:
We've added an extra hide for them, some more rocks and ornaments and a turtle bank in the corner to create a bit of shelf for them.
vampybabe-albums-new-tank-picture15898-moomin-evos-tank.jpg

Pyramid and shelf
vampybabe-albums-new-tank-picture15896-pyramid-shelf.jpg

second hide
vampybabe-albums-new-tank-picture15894-hide.jpg

After we seperated twiglet from the others he seemed to be going a bit scatty in the 2 foot tank. So we ended up getting a 3 and a bit foot tank for him.

vampybabe-albums-new-tank-picture15897-a.jpg

vampybabe-albums-new-tank-picture15895-both-tanks.jpg

Last edited:

Aaran

Reaction score
Love the setups, cool pyramid! Goodluck with the Egyptian theme, keep us updated :D

The water is so clear, i guess thats due to the bare bottom tank? :happy:

mewsie

Reaction score
I so agree, Chris!

I'm unbearably excited about my new golden (still with Zoe) and am looking for a new tank.

Apparently 'we'll just get rid of some other stuff' isn't an appropriate answer to the question 'where are we going to put it?'

vampybabe

Reaction score
I'm jelly of your tanks, I wish I could have more, but I'm not allowed.

2 is just not enough...

We've also just got another 4ft tank for the babies to go in when there big enough.
They wont be ready to go in for another month, which gives us some time to cycle it and decide on the layout of it.
Going to give sand another go on this tank and hopfully it wont go funny like last time.
On the look out for some luminous sand.:cool:
vampybabe-albums-new-tank-picture15905-new-tank-babies.jpg

vampybabe

Reaction score
vampybabe-albums-new-tank-picture16120-next-stage-new-tank.jpg

next stage.... added children's bright pink play sand (rinsed of course) and a few more plants and another hide, still need a few more hides but its coming along nicely

iChris

Reaction score
looks fantastic.

I have the same background on my 6ft tropical tank.

is that a ice probe chiller you have in the side of your tank in one of the earlier pictures?

vampybabe

Reaction score
Thanks Chris
The background came with the tank, but it looks good so we are keeping it :)
Its not no, its a mini fridge that we were going to turn into a homemade chiller but never got around to it. :)

caseeybrown

Reaction score
WOAHH!! That pink sand is AMAZING!

You must tell where you bought it?!

Your tanks are amazing btw, im jealous you have three big tanks!
Bet it will look stunning when you have more decor :D

vampybabe

Reaction score
awww thanks. ebays great for getting good deals if you dont mind travelling up and down the country for them. If we had more space we would probably have more lol.
ooooh sand is from Welcome to Crazy Sand good prices and came fairly fast. Was going to get lime green but at the last minute went for pink :) maybe if we ever get a 4th tank..... lol
cant wait for the rest of the plants and stuff to turn up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1