Concerned. New bubbles in tank after water change. What could this be?

shells

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,
I did my usual 20% weekly water change yesterday and through out the course of the evening I've noticed bubble appearing that would not normally be there, they from at the bottom of the spray bar then disperse to the edges of the tank, I aslo have a smiliar thing occuring from the airstone but not as bad. The bucket I used has not been used for anything recently only to wash out sand for the tank. Any idea on what these bubbles could be?? Im scared something no so axie friendly has made its way into my buddies little haven. I tried to take photos this morning before leaving for work only to find my camera battery had not charge.

could the connections be loose? Might be worth checking just in case

Two possibilities. Water from the tap is sometimes supersaturated with gas. Once it gets into a tank, bubbles form all over the inside surfaces of the tank as the gases escape. Or, as Star suggests, you have an leak that allows air to get in somewhere in your filter system.

After I wrote that, it occurred to me that I might be misunderstanding. Are the bubbles inside the tank, or on the surface of the water (like foam)?

If they're a foam, it could be a product of your dechlorinator. Some are known to cause a bit of foaminess. Also, protein buildup can cause foam on the surface of the water.

If they're a foam, it could be a product of your dechlorinator. Some are known to cause a bit of foaminess. Also, protein buildup can cause foam on the surface of the water.

Thats what came into my mind first as well. My dechlorinator makes a foam.

The only other time I've had unexpected foam was when I stupidly dipped my hand in the tank after using a hand wash, and hadn't quite rinsed and dried my wrist properly. Killed the bacteria cycle in two tanks... Grrrrr. Won't make that mistake again!

Thanks heaps for the replies...
Checked all my connections.. all good there.
Its like a foam on the surface of the water. I religiously wash my hands before going near the tank.
Seeing as my beauties don't seem concerned and eating fine im going to put it down to my dechlorinator.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back